Author Topic: BMD's at Penuel & Gyfynus Independant chapels in the Hope area.  (Read 2218 times)

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BMD's at Penuel & Gyfynus Independant chapels in the Hope area.
« on: Wednesday 12 August 15 23:57 BST (UK) »
Could anyone advise me please how to find the records online for these chapels?
 Thanks, Amberly.
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BMD's at Penuel & Gyfynus Independant chapels in the Hope area.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 August 15 00:00 BST (UK) »
please read the following link>    http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Hope/

any microfilm references for Flintshire can be found on Hugh Wallis pages attached on freepages of ancestry website..... there wont be much that was microfilmed....
the records are at Flintshire Record Office :)

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 August 15 00:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this info.   I did find a few on Family Search but knew there were more children born but they didn't appear.
Also did they do marriages, do you know?    I ask because my rellie Barbara Griffiths m Edward Powell on 22 June 1833 in Hope & had had a daughter named Ann b 3 June 1833 & bap 13 June 1833, obviously a few weeks before she got married & the baby is called Ann Powel & she was bap at Penuel & there's no mention of her being illegitimate.  I found a son Robert bap there also in 1835 but no more children.  I did however find on Family Search the burial of Edward Powell, an infant on 16 Mar 1844 of Uwchymynydd & the death of his mother Barbara of the same place on 29 April 1844, a few weeks after he died.  However I felt sure there must have been more children between Robert 1835 & Edward 1844, but can't find any.   Any suggestions how to go about finding anymore info?   I live in Canada so it's difficult for me to go to the Flintshire record office.  Where is it by the way?  Thanks Amberly.
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 August 15 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

The only reference to Penuel and Gyfynus Independant Chapel Records I can find relate to baptisms 1820 to 1837. The registers are at the National Archives, Kew, London, the Register images are on Findmypast as part of the England & Wales Non-Conformist Births and Baptisms Record Set.

You could try contacting the Clwyd FHS as to the location of post 1837 baptisms  http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/

As non-conformist marriages weren't recognised there may not be a marriage register. You would need to look in the relevant Parish Registers or, from 1st July 1837, Civil Marriages. NorthWalesBMD is sourced from the Local Register Office Indexes and, unlike the GRO Index, includes the church name.
http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/marriages.php

Andy

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 August 15 15:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy.   I have emailed Clwydfhs & await an answer.    I did not know that non-conformist marriages weren't recognised.  That explains why Ann, although born before they were married, was not registered by the chapel as base child when she was baptised.

Thanks again,
Amberly

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 August 15 16:38 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is relevan, but on www.bmdregisters.org.uk(in association with National Archives),a pay site, there are two entries for a John Mathias(1834) and Thomas Mathew(1836)
with an Edward and Mary Powell under maternal grandparents(?)In this database Penuel and Gyfynus is listed as Denbighshire(RG4 3948,years 1827-1837).There appears to be a separate RG4 ref. for Gyfynus at Kew.Ann and Robert are listed in bmdregisters under  both Edward and Barbara(h),but I can't see any other children either.

Regards
Roger

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 August 15 02:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this Roger.   I've tried to access this bmdregisters site but as you say I have to pay & I already pay for Genes Reunited, Ancestry Worldwide & Find My past so I'm not really prepared to pay anymore.    I've looked up these 2 children on FindMyPast, Ancestry & Family Search I cannot find them anywhere.   Also I can't find them on the 1841 or 51 census.    Plenty of John's & Thomas' but not with 2nd names.  Where were they registered, Flintshire or Denbighshire?    If they were registered under maternal grandparents it sounds as if it was their mother who was a Powell & in my case it was the father.   I don't know who Edward's parents were, I haven't been able to sort that out as I really don't know when he was born or where.   I thought I might be able to find his baptism in these same chapel registries but not so far!  This family research is rarely easy!   Thanks again I appreciate your reply.    Amberly