Author Topic: George Dalgarno 1627-1687 descendants  (Read 1780 times)

Offline red roses

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Dalgarno 1627-1687 descendants
« on: Thursday 13 August 15 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I need help please!  I have a copy of a document stating that my husband's Dalgarno line is descended from George Dalgarno b 1627 Peithill, d 1687 Oxford England.
George DALGARNO: Dictionary of National Biography.  Scottish Linguist and wrote Ars Signorum.
He died Oxford Eng. 1687 and is known to have had a family.
Marriage:  George Dalgarno and Margaret Johnston 24 Jan 1657 Kinkell, Aberdeenshire

Is anyone else researching this line?
I haven't been able to find any children from this marriage, and I am also stuck at the other end with DALGARNO/CARLE

I have traced my line back to John DALGARNO* m Catharine CARLE 27 Aug 1797 Old Machar
they had 2 sons, Joseph and John.  John married Margaret Sangster 18 Jan 1757, Old Deer, John died and left a struggling young family, some of whom immigrated. Joseph was a ships captain and immigrated to Australia.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Dalgarno 1627-1687 descendants
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 August 15 08:59 BST (UK) »
I would concentrate on working back from what you do know. If the document you have claims descent from George Dalgarno and doesn't give any proof, it is of little use. It may just be wishful thinking on the part of the author. I have seen lots of folk waste a great deal of time working forward and getting nowhere.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 21 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm related to Dalgarno's of Old Deer / Aberdeenshire. James Dalgarno 1787 married Sophia Crookshanks. His parents were James Dalgarno 1757 and Margaret Ramsay. The senior James's parents are (I believe) John Dalgarno and Margaret Sangster.

There is some confusion because there are several similar named Dalgarno having children around the area and even on the same years. I get confused often when searching and looking at people's trees with wild variation on James Dalgarno seniors birthdate. If anyone out there has any info or RC links to who is the correct parents of James Dalgarno that married Margaret Ramsay...I'd be very thankful.

The OP's post says "John married Margaret Sangster 18 Jan 1757" and presumably had a son named John that married Catherine Carle in 1797? I cannot find a birth for a John Dalgarno that would correspond. I do see my grandfather James 1757 ...but no brother John. Of course I could have missed it.

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 November 21 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Shortly after posting above I found this:

1. John DALGARNO, son of John DALGARNO and Margaret BRYMER, was born in 1726 in , , Aberdeenshire, Scotland1 and died on March 3, 1819 in , , Aberdeenshire, Scotland1,2 aged 93.

John married Margaret SANGSTER, daughter of John SANGSTER and Christan BRUCE, on January 18, 1757 in Old Deer, , Aberdeen, Scotland 1.,2 Margaret was christened on July 27, 1741 in Peterhead, , Aberdeen, Scotland2 and died on January 9, 1820 in Peterhead, , Aberdeen, Scotland2 aged 78.

Children from this marriage were:

+ 2 M    i. James DALGARNO was born on November 8, 1757 in Old Deer, , Aberdeen, Scotland1,2 and died on January 5, 1845 in Slains, , Aberdeen, Scotland2 aged 87.

3 F    ii. Margaret DALGARNO was born in April 1758 in , New Deer Parish, Aberdeen, Scotland.

+ 4 M    iii. Andrew DALGARNO was born about 1762 in Old Deer, , Aberdeen, Scotland.

5 F    iv. Marjory DALGARNO .

Marjory married Alexander LOW.

6 M    v. George DALGARNO was born in November 1765 in , New Deer Parish, Aberdeen, Scotland.3

7 M    vi. John DALGARNO was born about 1767 in , , Aberdeenshire, Scotland3 and died on March 30, 1819 in , Longside Parish, Aberdeen, Scotland3 aged about 52.

John married Katherne CARLE on September 7, 1797 in , Longside Parish, Aberdeen, Scotland.3 Katherne was born in October 1776 in , Longside Parish, Aberdeen, Scotland.3

So it seems that my grandfather James is brother to your John 1767...

In James's birth cert witnesses were Andrew Dalgarno and John Sangster.

***** EDIT ****

I went on to read more of the document and it turns out that James Dalgarno 1757 Old Deer did not marry Margaret Ramsay... so 1757 James cannot be my grandfather.

2. James DALGARNO (John1) was born on November 8, 1757 in Old Deer, , Aberdeen, Scotland1,2 and died on January 5, 1845 in Slains, , Aberdeen, Scotland2 aged 87.

James married Jean TAYLOR on January 25, 1781 in Old Deer, , Aberdeen, Scotland.1 Jean was born about 1762 in , , Aberdeenshire, Scotland3 and died in June 1830 in , , Aberdeenshire, Scotland3 aged about 68.

Now I'm back to square one with when james Dalgarno of Old Deer who married Margaret Ramsay was born and who his parents are. Any help appreciated.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.