Author Topic: Bolton village and surrounding area  (Read 4877 times)

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bolton village and surrounding area
« on: Thursday 13 August 15 12:18 BST (UK) »
I am researching the history of my son's house, formerly the blacksmiths house in the village of Bolton between Pocklington and Fangfoss. I have had lots of useful advice from roots  chatters about how to do this.
I thought I would put out another request on the East Yorkshire forum. The local history group for Bilton and Fangfoss has ceased to exist but I have got some of their photos and also photos from the Picklington history group. They are all very general photos of the village.

I have been told that the forge at the side of the house was intact up until the 1990s . It was then demolished and a garage built on the site. I have been unable to locate any photos.
If anyone has any information about the house or its occupants since it was built in the late 1700s I would be very grateful.
Thornwood.

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bolton village and surrounding area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 August 15 15:11 BST (UK) »
Have just read my post, I really should use spell check or type a little more slowly.  As you can probably guess I meant,    Bolton.   And.   Pocklington.!
Thornwood

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 August 15 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Thornwood
If the dwelling has had alterations then ask the local authority planning department for any information, this is sometimes also included in the Deeds when purchasing the property as Planning Permissions or Building Regulations.
Also depending upon what the legal side of things were during 1990's for demolision and rebuilding will depend if plans had to be submitted and any planning permissions given.

Also check newspapers for that time frame for notices of Planning Applications to see if anything is noted.

Again newspapers, ask the Editor of the local paper if you can insert an open letter asking for any information regarding the dwelling especially the rebuild, leave your name and address, inc a telephone number as well as email.

If the local shop or nearby village shop have an advertising board place a postcard asking for same info etc..

Another possibility is to search the archives at Treasure House, Beverley
For any photographs or info for Bolton.
Inclosure Awards/Maps for Bolton
Old Maps of the area to see if there is any outline drawings of the dwelling
Hearth and Window Taxes

Found this info, you may well already have it: Genuki Bishop Wilton http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ERY/Bishopwilton/
Transcript of the entry of "Professions and Trades" for BOLTON in Baines's Directory of 1823.
LEAK JOHN, Blacksmith

Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, Professions and Trades for BISHOP WILTON in Bulmer's Directory of 1892 - BOLTON Township, no Blacksmith noted but two possibles without occupations noted: Mr Robert Clough and Mr Michael Stevenson

According to this book History, Gazetteer and Directory of the East and North Ridings of Yorkshire 1840 ... Page 234 a Wm Leak was the Blacksmith at Bolton too.

Regards
bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 August 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks bendy windy so much for me to work on, great help. I had looked at census returns and knew that John Leak had been the blacksmith there.  I need to go to Beverley to look at documention.