Author Topic: William Steele / Steel b 1843 S/Uist, Inverness, Scot - Emigrated to Australia  (Read 3887 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Hi,

From an online tree, so the usual precautions apply  ;D

Ada Clara GALLAGHER birth 1864, Tamworth, NSW died 1956 Fremantle WA.
Married 28th July 1885, Maclean NSW, to William Stewart STEELE 1843-1939.

William Stewart STEELE born 2 Dec 1843, North Frobost, South Uist, Scotland
married 28 July 1885, Maclean NSW to Ada Clara GALLAGHER 1864-1956

A son born 11 April 1895, Yamba, NSW.  Son died aged 77 in 1972 at Perth Western Australia.

No other children of the 1885 marriage are listed on that online tree.

No information on any previous marriage for William Stewart STEELE.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re Ada C GALLAGHER ... Was she born 1861 or 1864?

NSW BDM has birth for Ada C, parents as John A and Elizabeth, birth registered Tamworth. Ref 13208/1861,

Here's some info from NSW electoral roll for LIVERPOOL PLAINS 1870 ... that's the electorate that included Tamworth.

John Ambrose GALLAGHER, of Tamworth, qualified to enrol as a voter as per his residence in Tamworth.  Perhaps he was Ada C Gallagher's Dad.

NSW ER 1878 LIVERPOOL PLAINS
John Ambrose GALLAGHER, residence, Tamworth.

Greville Post Office Directory, 1875 TAMWORTH
J.A. Gallagher, "Tamworth Examiner'.   :)

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/223535520  NSW Govt Gazette ... John Ambrose Gallagher, of Tamworth ... newspaper proprietor.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Yes,  that's a m.c. that has not been reconciled.

The clergyman's register should be extant.  I will make some phone calls.  Could be a week or so before I know where the register is currently held.    Notice it is all in the same handwriting - the clergyman's hand.   Notice there's no details in Birthplace, Age, Father's name, mother's name and maiden surname, Father's occupation and NO margin notes to the right of the witness signatures.     

I can add a point of interest ... there is also NO mention of the bride needing to have someone give permission for her to marry.... so it is fair to conclude that the bride was at least 21 years of age. 

ADD  those 1876/1878 details could be family members for the bride.  Brides in that era in rural NSW were often returning 'home' to be married from Mum and Dad's home.   :)

JM...Yes re the marriage not being reconciled (that's the word!)...I used 'updated' in my post  :D

Re the age of bride Ada which you enquired about, definitely born 1861 not 1864 as on those obviously copied trees as her burial suggests a birth yr of 1866  ::)...

1861 - Australia, Birth Index, 1788-1922

Name Ada C Gallagher
Birth Date 1861
Birth Place New South Wales
Registration Year 1861
Registration Place Tamworth, New South Wales, Australia
Father John A Gallagher
Mother Elizabeth
Registration Number 13208

Ada burial...

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/213683073/ada-clara-steele

Many thanks for going the extra mile to see if you can locate the 'missing' info. from the marriage, it's very much appreciated!

I forgot to add, my Ancestry 'prescription' is up-to-date & I'm adding the info. to my tree as a 'possible' connection to see where it takes me.

I had a look at the WA site re a DC for William 1939 but I'm not understanding it fully as I think I need to have documentation of proof of relationship, also the payment is not clear on the application form itself?

https://www.wa.gov.au/service/justice/civil-law/apply-death-certificate

The fees for applying for a death certificate:

$50 - Certified Death Certificate
$35 - Reduced Fee Death Certificate (+75 yrs. old)
$20 - Uncertified copy of a Death Registration (deaths prior to 1983)

It seems where there's no consent (which I don't have) this is the info. likely to be on a DC...

If consent is not available, only confirmation of the following information will be provided:
Full name of deceased.
Place of death.
Date of death.
Registration number.
Date of birth/age.
Place of birth.
Gender.

Does anyone know if the place of birth would state where in Scotland e.g. Inverness-shire?

To date I haven't found any indication of where this William (Stewart) was born i.e. I don't know if he was born in Scotland or where?

I had also picked up a discrepancy on this William's death details of 9th Aug 1939 on the obit Ros posted Reply #5 ...

His age was given as 97 yrs & 4 mnths = April 1842

but is actual age would have been 95 yrs 8 mnths as he was born 02 Dec 1843

If I use a shoe-horn & assume whoever done the arithmetic had made an error & counted backwards from Dec - Aug that would equate to 4 mnths which might almost fit although I'm not convinced as there's still the age difference 97 v 95  :-\

Neale,

I still have to check out this marriage/death of wife prior to 1885 (2nd marriage)...

Marriage registration
William Steele
Marriage date 22/03/1866
Spouse's name Ann Elizabeth Waldron
Registration details 1866/B/1675

Annie

Add...I have found no info. on Ancestry for Ann Elizabeth Waldron (possible 1st wife) & no-one has her in their tree
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"