Author Topic: William Steele / Steel b 1843 S/Uist, Inverness, Scot - Emigrated to Australia  (Read 3893 times)

Offline FHARR71

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Steele / Steel b 1843 S/Uist, Inverness, Scot - Emigrated to Australia
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 April 20 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie. This is a long shot and from what I can see quite a few years since your question? I believe I am related to William Steele.  My grandfather was Alistair McRae Steele and I think the dates fit. I will have to check details with my dad and get back to you.
Warm Regards, Fiona Harrowing  (nee Steele).

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Hi Fiona,

Nice to hear from you as I'm no further forward from 5 yrs ago i.e. any possible connection is well worth my interest.

I've seen trees with some info. e.g. wife named Ada Clara Gallagher having married 28 Jul 1885 MacLean, NSW & William as dying 1939 Perth, WA.

I do not have proof of either i.e. I can't verify it.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
I'm back on this trail...

Can anyone tell me how I could obtain the MC for William Steel & Ada Gallagher 1885?

I had hoped to be able to get a pdf. but it's not available...

https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/result?4

I would love to confirm or discount this chap somehow.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
This might be his grave marker.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/213642651/william-stuart-steele

Re the NSW marriage certificate - my understanding is that “not availble” just means nobody has ordered it yet, but you can order it.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Hi Annie  :)

You can also get a transcription from a transcription agent which is cheaper and they e-mail it to you.

Here are details of the 3 official transcription agents.  https://www.nsw.gov.au/topics/family-history-search/ancestry-research#Ancestry-research-help  scroll down the page.

It's worth checking them all as sometimes they have happy hour specials or 2 for the price of 1 specials etc.

Ros :)
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm back on this trail...

Can anyone tell me how I could obtain the MC for William Steel & Ada Gallagher 1885?

I had hoped to be able to get a pdf. but it's not available...

https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/result?4

I would love to confirm or discount this chap somehow.

Annie

Hi Annie,
This couple had the following children. I thought their names might help, if they are family names occurring in your family.

William   born  1886  registered in Maclean
Amy K.               1887                       Grafton               
Annie B.             1890                         Grafton
Archibald           1892                        Grafton
Allester McR      1895                       Maclean

Grafton and Maclean are neighbouring towns.  Also, the fact that there are no more children fits with the family leaving the area.
Regards
Jennaya

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Some deaths of the children in W.A.

From W.A. BDM

1957 Colin Hector STEELE, father William S, mother Ada C

From W.A. MCB https://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/results.php - possible children

1972 Alistair McRae STEELE, age 76, dod 5/2/1972, Mt Pleasant

1974 Kathleen Amy HAMILTON, age 87, dod  4/12/1974, East Fremantle

Not much help there ... other than the McRae as Alistair's middle name as already mentioned by Fiona.

Ros

adding : from W.A. MCB
        1974 Annie Beryl BEATTIE, age 84, East Fremantle
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Thanks folks...

I have collected a mountain of info. on the family including married names of children in the obits Ros posted early on in my quest but my problem is whether or not William is my relative as nothing so far points to his parentage or origins hence I'd like the marriage details.

I'm also glad of the extra info. I don't have as I'm 90% sure this is the correct family.

Ros...

Thanks for the link for a transcription, I'll give it a try!

It does seem a coincidence with a son being named Alistair MacRae Steele as he had a brother Alexander...Alistair is Gaelic for Alexander & he would be a Gaelic speaker.

However, the addition of the middle name Stewart/Stuart is odd :-\

I can't find any info. on when William arrived in USA or Aus but I spoke with an ancestry member a while ago (2019) who says...

"Our William Stewart Steele went to sea at young age and fought in the American Civil War for the Confederacy having run guns with his brother Alistair"

I don't know where she found info. on 'having run guns with his brother' but it would be interesting to know?

The American Civil War was 12 Apr 1861 – 9 Apr 1865 which fits with my William not being on a census in the UK after 1861.

I'm going to add the info. to my tree as a 'possible' to see what shows up in links etc. as I've contacted the woman again but my message hasn't been read  :(

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
This might be his grave marker.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/213642651/william-stuart-steele

Re the NSW marriage certificate - my understanding is that “not availble” just means nobody has ordered it yet, but you can order it.

Hi Neale,

I went through all the Karrakatta Cemetery and Crematorium Memorials & there's probably others related to the family too.

Thanks for the info. re 'not available' but there was no indication of how to order it hence my post to enquire but I'll go with Ros' suggestion on a transcription (less expensive) & someone sent me a PM with a recommendation for one of those on the list Ros provided the link to which is great.

Annie