Author Topic: Long Lee Farm, Rowarth  (Read 3491 times)

Offline fielding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Long Lee Farm, Rowarth
« on: Monday 11 July 05 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hyde of Long Lee Farm, Rowarth
This house was an ancestral home to John Hyde from 1600
Is there anyone who could please help me find a Mr. Michael J.H.Leete late of Long Lee Farm in Rowarth.
MICHAEL LEETE of Long Lee Farm, Rowarth, Derbyshire, bought the property, 190 acres, in 1971. He did a lot of research about the HYDE family and the history of the farm.
His wife is called LIBBY and they had two children at that time; EMMA who would now be 36 years old and SIMEON 35 years old.
Michael Leete was an Accountant in Manchester.
Michael was still living there with his wife and young family in June 1995 when he exchanged letters with Neal Hyde of Hale, Altringham. They were discussing WILLS and research about the HYDE families who were the ancestral owners of Long Lee.

I too am a HYDE and my family have known Neal Hyde's family for 150 years. I would dearly like to contact Michael Leete.

I would be grateful for ANY help at all in tracing the current whereabouts of this family, please.
All help welcome.
Sue Hyde Fielding

We are unable to send your new password because your old email is set up on the system and we don't know your new one. Please send us a message by the contact us button.

Offline fielding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Long Lee Farm, Rowarth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I have solved my problem, thank you and I have found the Leete family.
No further help needed at present.
Sue.
We are unable to send your new password because your old email is set up on the system and we don't know your new one. Please send us a message by the contact us button.

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 07:24 GMT (UK) »
I realise this is an old thread but worth a shot.

I have recently got back in touch with a childhood friend who has given me some books of handwritten notes and newspaper cuttings put together by her great grandfather John Hyde of Hayfield & Glossop (b 26 July 1844), probably some time between 1895 and 1915.

The contents are all to do with him trying to prove that he was a descendant of John Hyde of Long Lee in Bodon Middlecale, gentleman, who died intestate 20 August 1703, and of the John Hyde who, by will dated 8th September 1604 give certain premises to the Merchant Taylor's Company London upon trust amongst other things to pay £10 yearly to the minister of the Gospel at Hayfield in Derbyshire keeping a grammar school within the chapel the sum of £10.

The quest was apparently started by his great uncle Aaron Hyde (ca 1782 - 4 September 1864) who had seen an advertisement somewhere (presumably looking for claimants) and claimed that the family had been “rogued” out of their rights.

I am trying to find out as much as possible about the story. Any information gratefully received.

Graham

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 08:20 GMT (UK) »
2005 is an old thread.

I've found this for you"

"After the Norman Conquest, it appears to have been inhabited by farmers and shepherds; a sturdy and independent race of mountaineers, tenants of the Abbey of Basingwerke, and a number of gentle families living on their own FREEHOLD ESTATES. 18
18. In a list of gentry named in a commission of the peace (12 of Henry VI, 1433), occur the names of JOHN HYDE, OF LONG LEE, Robert Rattcliffe, of Mellor, Thomas and Nicholas Wagstaffe, of Glossop, John del Bothe, and Thomas Wholley, of Charlesworth."
http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/lh1863gl.htm

Anthony and Ellen Hyde of Long Lee: Wills 1600's
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~dusk/genealogy/hyde_wills_index.html

“Here lyeth interred ye body of John Hyde, late of Long Lee, in Boden Middlecale, gentleman, who departed this lyfe August ye 20, Anno Domi 1703, being in ye 63 yeare of his age, and left issue one son and one daughter.”
http://www.stevelewis.me.uk/page70.php

Then a bit about the property dispute:
"In the " Visitation of London " by St. George (163334) there is the pedigree of a John Hyde, who is shown to have a grandson John, but no one has taken the least trouble to establish the fact that the John Hyde of the pedigree was the gentleman who devised the property for the benefit of Hayfield chapelry"

"There are only three heirs living, and a few children of the Merchant Taylors of, London, and of John Hyde of Long Lee. First, I will take John Hyde's son and family. All lived at Bank End in Kinder."

"There were Two sons and three daughters. These were all John Hyde's grandchildren of Long Lee. James was the eldest son, and the heir of Long Lee and the money, till that old sinner and philosopher, Thomas Hobbes, stepped between and got the money and then threw the property into Chancery. It made James a poor man, as he had no trade. And the whereabouts of this James is not known to any of the family. Thom is, his brother, was a joiner, and lived at Threeneedham with his four sons.  I take two of Thomas's sons Aaron Hyde and James Hyde, my grandfather. These are the two persons who saw the advertisement in the paper. My grandfather, James Hyde, told me that Thomas Hobbes went to live on Ardwick Green,and he and my father and mother had been down to see
him."
http://www.newmillshistory.org.uk/sbook/sbook2.html

So you have plenty to read until a Hyde researcher appears
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 08:35 GMT (UK) »
2005 is an old thread.

I've found this for you"
(snipped for brevity)
Thanks. It is rather confusing.
I found several copies of the Visitation on-line and, whilst a number of Hydes are mentioned, there is no John Hyde.
The allegations against Thomas Hobbs don't seem to add up either. He died in 1679, 24 years before John Hyde of Long Lee died.
It does appear to be one of those old family tales based on Chinese Whispers  :)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes I do wonder because

1700/1 (burial)
3 Mar Mary HYDE wife of Mr John of Long Lee, in Bowden Middlecale (also from BT film)

then

1703 (burial)
24 Aug John HYDE of Long Lee, Gent (also from BT film)

but who was this and why were they of "Long Lee"?

1720 (burial)
7 Oct ....HYDE of Long Lee

and this

1721 (burial)
7 Nov John HYDE of Long Lee

If the property was lost in 1703, then how could their be burials in 1720 and 1721 of Hyde's of Long Lee (the whole parish knew they existed!? Surely?)

http://www.nwdbysources.uk/glossop_burials.html
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again.
It appears to me to be something which became a quest by the John Hyde who wrote the notebooks which was based on conversations between his father and great uncle which he overheard when he was a child of maybe 10 years old (perhaps younger).
I was hoping the original poster might still be around but I have just checked her profile (why didn't I think of that before?) and she was last on the forum in 2010.

Offline Ballumbie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 11:59 BST (UK) »
I am part of a DNA group on FamilyTreeDNA that consists of people including the surname of HYDE.  It would be great to have some Y-DNA holders (i.e. males) who believe they descend from the HYDE family of LONG LEE, HAYFIELD and GLOSSOP join this project to try to establish who belongs to which line.  Ideally, to join that project and to see which HYDE line you descend from, you would carry out a BIG-Y DNA test.

I hope some join us.