Author Topic: George Liddy - Can anyone help find him emigrating from Ireland 1911-1916?  (Read 10003 times)

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,
I am trying to establish when George Liddy, born 1886 approx, emigrated to USA (or Canada)from Northern Ireland. I have found his wife Mary,(Mason) and their 2 children,George and Mary, sailing in 1916 to join him in Cincinnati,Ohio. I have also found records of their deaths in Cincinnati in the 1960s.I know from the 1911 census of Ireland that he was still living in Belfast, Northern Ireland in 1911, so he must have emigrated between 1911 and 1916. I am keen to know who was 'claiming' him when he arrived in USA, as I cannot trace his older sister Mary(again) anywhere after the 1901 Ireland census when she was 19 years old.
Sorry it's a bit long winded.
Thanks for any help.
Paul.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Liddy - Can anyone help find him emigrating from Ireland 1911-1916?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 August 15 13:38 BST (UK) »
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 August 15 13:57 BST (UK) »
In 1911 George Liddy's occupation was pavior-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Court/Unity_Street/135852

This fits with the 1912 border crossing details- granite paver, wife Mary 65 Unity St. Belfast. Contact in U.S. was a friend John Con_.

25 Sept.1914 record of George Liddy going from Mass. to Quebec gives occupation as streetpaving.

Aug.1915 border crossing gives his occupation as paving cutter with wife Mary at a different Belfast address- 22 Upton St. He was going to Cincinatti ('no address').
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 August 15 14:00 BST (UK) »
V.interesting aghadowey.  May I ask where the info came from, please?

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 August 15 14:01 BST (UK) »
Details from a variety of sources. I did find a 1929 record of him and son George leaving Belfast but still trying to find when he originally left Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 August 15 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hello STG and Aghadowey. Thank you for your replies, and sorry for the delay in replying. Out Shopping!!!

Thanks for the info supplied. George's mother and father were both dead by the time he emigrated in 1911/1912. He had 2 full sisters, Mary Ann and Margaret, and several half siblings. Margaret died in Belfast in 1962, I can find no trace of Mary Ann after the 1901 census. Maybe she died in 1929 and George was over at her funeral,but if she was married it will be a tall order. I wonder why we can't find a record for George crossing the Atlantic in 1911 or 1912.
Thanks again for your help.
Paul.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 August 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
In 1911 George Liddy's occupation was pavior-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Court/Unity_Street/135852

This fits with the 1912 border crossing details- granite paver, wife Mary 65 Unity St. Belfast. Contact in U.S. was a friend John Con_.

In case it helps, it appears that the contact information may be John Conway, San Francisco.
Unfortunately, there were a lot of men with this name in San Francisco during that time; none appear to have a similar occupation as Mr. Liddy.
https://archive.org/stream/crockerlangleysa1912sanfrich#page/456/mode/2up

Looking at the 1912 San Francisco Directory, the only George Liddy (occupation lather) in the book was also in the 1911 book, so he most likely isn't your man.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 August 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
Were George and Mary Ann born in Belfast?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 August 15 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Lisa, and thank you for taking the time to read and research my post.
Yes, George and Mary Ann were born in Belfast.
George was born on 14/4/1885 and Mary Ann was born on 4/6/1883.
Their parents were George(I know, another George) Liddy and Margaret (Anderson) Liddy.
George and Margaret were married on  19/8/1879 in St Patrick's Church, Donegall Street, Belfast.

Paul.