Author Topic: George Liddy - Can anyone help find him emigrating from Ireland 1911-1916?  (Read 9997 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Liddy - Can anyone help find him emigrating from Ireland 1911-1916?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 August 15 21:31 BST (UK) »
Have been doing a bit more searching and there certainly are a few mysteries here  ;)

George Liddy, son of Charles, m.(19 Aug.1879) Margaret Anderson
1. Mary Ann Liddy (6 June 1880)
2. Margaret Liddy (6 Jan.1882)
3. George Liddy (14 Apr.1885)

Here are the girls in 1901 staying with their uncle-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Dock_Ward/North_Queen_Street/937102

I did find a Margaret Liddy who married John Rooney in 1901 and thought it was the right one but turns out her father was Thomas Liddy. Posting that family for reference-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Dock_Ward/Annadale_Street/136026

Also, here's the correct Liddy family in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Dock_Ward/Spamount_Street/937279

Liddy Charles of 29 Rockmore Road Belfast corporation paver died 24 August 1936 Administration Belfast 16 December [1955] to Catherine Liddy the widow. Effects £285.

More to follow...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 August 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
Found quite a few records of George's travels (luckily occupation is uncommon)-

22 June 1928 "Minnedosa" arrived Belfast/Glasgow: George Liddy, 41, 7 Great Georges St. Belfast, paver, resides USA

14 July 1928 "Melita" departed Belfast for Quebec: George Liddy, 43, 7? Cooks Belfast, paver

4 Oct.1929 "Athenia" departed Belfast for Quebec: George Liddy, 43, 7 Great George St. Belfast, paver (travelling with George Liddy, 20, electrician)

3 Aug.1930 "Athenia" arrived Glasgow from Montreal: George Liddy, 43, 7 Great Georges St. Belfast, granite cutter (travelling with Mary Liddy, 43)

22 Aug.1931 "Letitia" arrived Belfast/Glasgow from Montreal: George Liddy, 43, 7 Great Georges St. Belfast, granire paver (travelling with Mary Liddy, 44)

More to follow...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 August 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
Now, I wondered about the address George gave in Belfast- 7 Great Georges St.- hoping it was a relative but can't see a connection although maybe the names will mean something to you.

7 Great George’s St.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Dock_Ward/Great_George_s_Street
1918- Mrs. Ellen Kelly http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/gcomplete1918.htm
1924- William Edens http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/images/1924BSD/1924strs%200148.jpg
1932- Mrs. M. O’Neill http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/gcomplete1932.htm
1943 Miss M. O’Neill confectioner http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/gcomplete1943.htm

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 August 15 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Wow, George certainly got around. ;D

On the 1929 Detroit Manifest Arrivals, he gives nearest relative as sister-in-law, Mrs. Elizabeth O'Neill, 7 Great George St. which matches up with what aghadowey found. He gives 1914 as first arrival, but on the 1931 Arrivals he gives 1912. aghadowey found a border crossing in 1912, so 1914 would be incorrect.
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Ageorge~%20%2Bsurname%3Aliddy~&collection_id=1916040

Passenger lists can go missing, or be destroyed, or deteriorate.

Cheers,
DB

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 August 15 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey and Dbreez for your further replies.
Aghadowey, one of the names you listed as residing at 7 Gt Georges Street, William Edens in 1924. When Mary Liddy was going over to USA in 1916 to join husband George ,she gave the name Mrs Edens, her sister, as her next of kin back in Ireland.Also in the immigration card details which Dbreez supplied, she states Eliz O'Neill of 7 Gt Georges Street is another sister(their maiden name was Mason).
Aghadowey, purely in the interests of accuracy, the DOB of Mary Liddy you supplied 6/6/1880 refers to the first born child of George and Mary, who died in infancy. The DOB of the child Mary who survived to adulthood is 4/6/1883.
Can I ask, was it more convenient, or cheaper(or both ) to travel by sea from Belfast to Quebec rather than to New York, if you lived in Cincinnatti. It seems to me looking at a map that New York is the nearer of the 2.
dbreez the customs/ immigration cards you supplied are great to read. I didn't know that research resource existed. Thank you.
Paul.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 August 15 15:30 BST (UK) »
Quite a number of years ago (so, it may not be accurate now), I read that it was less expensive to sail to Canada than to the states.  It also apparently was easier for folks to sail to a commonwealth country than to sail to America.  Again, I do not know if what I read is still common belief.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lisa. Sorry for the delay in replying.

Paul.

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 13:58 BST (UK) »
Still looking for help in finding out when George Liddy first crossed the Atlantic to settle in Canada or USA. I have identified his wife and children going over to join him in 1916, and Aghadowey and Dbreez have done sterling work,which I greatly appreciate, in locating him criss-crossing the Atlantic and USA/Canada border. I would just love to have a record of when he first made the long journey. My thanks to all who have replied and helped me.

Thank you.
Paul.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 16:27 BST (UK) »
I hesitated to put this forward before but there is one crossing in 1912 which I wondered about :

Geo Liddy b1888 farmer sailed 12 May 1912 on the Montrose from Liverpool to Quebec.
On the arrival document he is listed as a labourer , intending to do farm work. ( Both documents say he's from Ireland.)

I also found this , which doesn't really help :

George Liddy  b 1885 , last country of permanent residence Ireland , pavior , departed 14 Dec 1913 from Liverpool to Sydney Australia on the Kent.
There is an incoming record for a Geo Liddy b 1885, labourer , who arrived in Liverpool in October 1913 from Quebec and I'm wondering if George went to Canada , couldn't find work and returned to try his luck in Australia. I can't find a record of his return from Australia but I'm not sure what records there might be , if any , particularly if he returned via the Pacific.

Does anyone think this is feasible ?
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk