Author Topic: Elizabeth and George Behm  (Read 4682 times)

Offline braam63

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth and George Behm
« on: Sunday 16 August 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information about my Great-Grandparents, Elizabeth and George Behm.  The only information I've been able to find is as follows (most from the birth certificate of their son, Charles George Henry Behm, 29/07/1930, (later he changed it to Benn)) :

Elizabeth Behm (don't know her maiden name, something like "Haberor or Haberon"?) born 11 July 1868.  Nationality German and place of birth "Palone"?  She went to England 1897 and worked as a cook.  She was interned WW1 and reported to police weekly WW2.  Died Chatham 1944.

George Behm listed as being a domestic Valet.  Not sure whether he went to England with Elizabeth - nothing mentioned of him.

I'm writing an informal book about my parents and would love to trace the family history back further.

Their son (Charles George Henry) married Florence Ashley - she was a Foundling.  Would LOVE to get information about her as well, to surprise my Mother?

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth and George Behm
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 August 15 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat.

What a lovely thing to do for your Mother  :)

However have you the birth date of Charles G H Behm correct, or is this the correct one? -

Charles George H Behm
q3 1903, St Giles, London
Vol 1b Page 602

JJ

Offline braam63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 August 15 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi JJen

Wow, what a speedy response!  Apologies - the date should read 29/07/1903, not 1930.  Thank you for picking up the mistake.

Regards

Braam

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 August 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
Probate (you may already have this info) -

Elisabeth Behm (widow) - 48 Pelham Road, South Gravesend, Kent died 2 December 1944 at The Gravesend and North Kent Hospital. Probate, Llandudno to Charles George Barklett, builder.
£226 5s 11d.

JJ

Offline braam63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 August 15 18:05 BST (UK) »
This is the first time I'm using this to help me in my search.  I live in South Africa, so don't know where to search for data.  No JJ, I did not have the data that you've sent me.  I'd like to make a copy of the probate that you got (don't know how you did it...) to also put in the book.

My Mom only knew her Grandmother as Nana - I was able to get her name, date of birth, etc, etc.  With her Mom being being a Foundling everything was hush hush as you can imagine.  She came to SA at the age of six so she doesn't remember much.  However she does have a fantastic memory.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 August 15 18:10 BST (UK) »

Offline braam63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 August 15 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, JJ.  You've been a great help.  As I've said I'm new at this so still very slow.  But I'll get there... :P

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 August 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
Looking at the marriage of Charles George Henry Behm in 1930 his bride had the name Florence M H Ashley. There is this birth which could be her -

Florence Mary H Ashley
q1 1907, Wandsworth, London
Vol 1d Page 770

Do you have the marriage cert of Charles which would give Florence's age and her father's name? I see that Charles changed his name to Benn in the same year as his marriage -

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/33624/page/4402/data.pdf

JJ

Offline braam63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 August 15 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ

Florence was a Foundling so she wouldn't have known who her Dad was.  I believe she only had one name, ie Florence, however prefered to be called Pat.  She re-married Roy Taylor after she left SA to return to the UK in the 1940's.  Unfortunately I only have CGH Behm's birth certificate.

I have found the data about CGH changing his surname.  Makes sense, living in England.