Author Topic: Maritime Mystery!  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maritime Mystery!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 19:09 BST (UK) »
You wrote.
"So when he worked on the Cunard chips he wouldn't of been MN, but then signed up to the MN when he was on the Hector??  Just out of interest, do you know what provisions would be in place for his family after going missing at sea?"

As far as I can ascertain, he was a Merchant Seaman for all of his seagoing career including the Cunard vessels he sailed on.   Where did  you get the information that he served on HMS HECTOR ? There are no records for him on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.

Merchant vessel HECTOR official number 102191,  was a entirely different ship to HMS HECTOR!
I note that his entry in the returns of Deaths at Sea,  November 1914, reported to the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen under the provisions of the Merchant Shipping Act 1894.

Says he "disappeared at sea"

Whatever the reason of his demise, I leave it  to your imagination but suicide, murder, where not an entirely unknown phenomena.
Given his rank, I think it doubtful, that apart from a "whip round" by his shipmates for his widow, That any formal provision for his family by the shipowners.
Please excuse my error it wasn't HMS. Getting confused with my husbands occupation there!  :P
Byrne, Butterfield, Gilbert, Sutcliffe, Furey, Alderson, Warham, to name a few!

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 October 15 14:09 BST (UK) »
His marriage certificate should list name and occupation of his father. If his name was James and Michael was still in Galway in 1901 then this family might be the correct one (I can't see that Michael Furey in Galway in 1911 which is a good sign)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Clifden/Tullyvoheen/1369618

Catholic Parish Registers are now online-
http://registers.nli.ie/#home_map
So the Marriage Cert came through. James Furey is the father he's listed as being a railway plate layer (gauger?)  Michael is listed as being a "Sawyer" living at 17 Price St, New Ferry.

Offline smizo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 October 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie
think  I may have been in contact with u before....Emma Cowderoy/Furey was my nans older sister....the family story is that he fell overboard...I see you have a copy of their marriage. I ve been off this side of the family for a while but any help you need feel free to ask...Gaynor  :D

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 October 15 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie
think  I may have been in contact with u before....Emma Cowderoy/Furey was my nans older sister....the family story is that he fell overboard...I see you have a copy of their marriage. I ve been off this side of the family for a while but any help you need feel free to ask...Gaynor  :D

Hi Gaynor, i thought of you today when the marriage cert came!  I was shot down asking about the Fureys from Bridie! :-(   
Did you go further back on Michael?

Offline smizo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 October 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
I had a strong possibility that his father was James ....following the naming of their eldest son. Weirdly I have been looking at Emma furey today then I googled Michael and saw this post!
I actually sent for few death certificates this morning hoping to get back on this side of my tree. Does the marriage give a place of residence for Emma ?
Think I might have James furey in Galway but still need to do bit more digging  :o
Gaynor x