Author Topic: Ancestors from Scotland  (Read 8447 times)

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors from Scotland
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 23 August 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
Working out relationships is always difficult but I come to 4th cousins, twice removed. Could be wrong of course, so we'll just say you are cousins.  :)

Ha! Yes, After I posted that I also cut a "removed"...

The 1915 marriage shows that the parents of Walter MacKay are Henry MacKay and Annie Skinner.

So not a case of a sister and brother marrying a brother and sister. "Skinner" very much a local name as Skoosh noted up this thread, the eastern part of the village is known as "Skinnerton of Inver".

"Henry" also a name common to the area, I have seen in the Corbett family there.

Thank you also for the extra information about the ancestors of John MacKenzie. I'm very grateful for that and means that I have much more information about her Scottish side than I ever imagined I would have just a week ago.

I'll p.m. you URL for my MacDonald of Reiff chart, a non-public file as it includes some details on living people and so is only circulated to descendants, I have penciled in grandmother of your friend, Henrietta MacKay, in there at position 1-1-5-1-2-6-1

Donald.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 23 August 15 21:42 BST (UK) »
That's wonderful Donald, thank you so much  :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 August 15 23:05 BST (UK) »
That's wonderful Donald, thank you so much  :)

I've happened across your thread due to the mention of the M'kenzie surname and I've been smiling with pleasure at your good fortune Hampshire Lass, especially as the "bounty" now seems endless lol.

I think you must be bouncing up and down with excitement.  My quest is more or less at an end but if in the future you should hear of an amateur family historian kissing somebody's feet - it will be me  ;D ::)

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 24 August 15 06:41 BST (UK) »
Exactly Rena  >:( >:(

and to think that a few weeks ago when my friend told me her father's name and that he was born in Scotland I told her I probably would get nowhere on that side of her family. How very wrong can you be  ;D

All the more interesting to me also as I know from a wonderful holiday many moons ago that it is a stunningly beautiful area of Scotland.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 24 August 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
Great website Donald.  :)

Skoosh.