Author Topic: Skye & Raasay Whiteford, Whyteford, McLeod, McDougall, McIssac, Peacock, McKenzi  (Read 2674 times)

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi all, I'm interested in the family of Archibald WHITEFORD born 1819 in Argyll whose parents were Alexander Whiteford and Margaret KANE. Archibald married a Flora MCLEOD from Raasay (daughter of John and Jane McLeod) in 1849 and had 3 children with her, Alexander born 1850 Strath Inverness, John born 1854 and Archibald born 1856 (possibly Kintail Ross and Cromarty). Archibald subsequently married a Mary MACDOUGALL (daughter of Alexander MacDougall & Ann MacDonald) in 1858 in Raasay and had 4 other children, Margaret Ann Whiteford born 1859 Raasay, Alexander born 1861 Raasay, Archibald born 1865 Portree and Donald born 1866 Portree. The children of these couples married MCISAACS, PEACOCK, MCKENZIE and MCLARENS.

There were Whitefords in Skye until at least the 1960s.  I was there a couple of weeks ago and spent time at the Highlands Archives and have scans from the newspapers of Peter Whiteford (nickname "Grey Hen"), "Ginger" Whiteford who I am told drowned in Portree Bay one night, and two Peacock brothers who were POWs during WW2.  Peter Whiteford was in a photo of people mending bag nets in Portree in the 1950s from the West Highland Salmon Fishing Co Ltd business papers.

My connection to the Whitefords is that Archibald had a brother James who emigrated to Australia in 1852. I'm descended from James.

I would be very pleased to make any connections.

Cheers all Anne
Bouffier/Buffier (Germany), Brennan (Athlone Wmeath), Galvin (Innes, Clare), Mackay (Athlone, Wmeath), McGrath (Tyrone), Morton (Ayrshire) Smith (Blackwater Bridge, Cavan), Smith (Ardnamurchan Sco), Smythe (Dublin); Whiteford (Antrim & then Argyll), Wyl(l)ie (Ayrshire)

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Whiteford, MacLeod, McDougall, McIsaac, Peacock, Dickson, Fenton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 20 06:52 BST (UK) »
Archibald Whiteford son of Alexander Whiteford (poss. Wheatford) and Margaret Cain/Kain or variants married 16 Oct 1849 at Raasay to 1. Flora Macleod, bn 1823 Raasay, parents John & Jane with brothers Roderick & Murdo. Archies & Flora's children were: Alexander bn abt 1850 Strass; John bn 1854 Kintail Ross & Cromarty; Archibald bn 24 Apr 1856 Kintail;
2. Alexander then married 31 Aug 1858 at Portree  to 2. Mary McDougall bn abt. 1831 South Uist G. Their children were Margaret Ann (Maggy) bn 23 Aug 1859 Clachan Raasay; Ann bn abt 1863 Portree; Archibald bn 24 Jun 1865 Donald bn 19 Jul 1866 Portree.
On the 1871 Census Mary is the Head of House so Archibald was presumably dead by then.

Alexander (bn 1850) married Catherine McIsaac on 21 Jun 1901 at 21 West Nile St Glasgow.  Their children were Archibald bn 13 Feb 1902 in Portree; Mary Ann (Margaret) bn 6 Feb 1903 Portree; John Archibald bn 17 Jan 1905-died 1909 Portree; Peter bn abt 1909 Glasgow.  Catherine McIsaac died 11 Dec 1933 and Alexander died 3 January 1942 both at Portree.

Donald bn 1866 was a Piper with the Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) - 72nd & 78th Foot from 5 May 1886 to 5 May 1898.  He was posted in India and returned in 1894.  He married Bella MacLeod on 1 Jan 1902 in Portree. Their children all bn Portree were Dugald MacLachlan (1903-1972); Alexander bn abt 1905; John Archibald 1905-1908.  Donald died 29 Jan 1911 in Portree.

Dugald MacLachlan married Margaret Dickson on 10 May 1926 at Blythwood Glasgow. Their children were Dugald McLaughlan bn Gorbals 1929 died 1992; Elizabeth Mona bn abt 1930 Glasgow died 2002; Agnes 1935-1937.  Margaret Dickson died in Dec 1939 at Bradda Ave Burnside.  Dugald married Wilumina Fenton or Henderson in 1940 in Glasgow. They had a child William Fenton abt 1935 in Glasgow.  I haven't found William using  his father's surname at any point. Dugald died in Glasgow in 1972.

Margaret Ann Whiteford bn 1859 married James Peacock on 13 July 1883 at Greenock. James was bn abt 1860 in Portree. Their children were Alexander bn abt 1884 Glasgow; Annie Whiteford bn abt 1885 and died 1887; James bn abt 1887 in Greenock. Margaret Ann died 1 Jun 1937 at Bayfield Cottage Portree.

Archibald, son of Alexander and Margaret Cain, had a brother James who emigrated to Australia.  I am descended through his line.

I would be very pleased to hear back from anybody with any knowledge of this family.  I hold OPRs etc from ScotlandsPeople for most of the family.

Anne
Bouffier/Buffier (Germany), Brennan (Athlone Wmeath), Galvin (Innes, Clare), Mackay (Athlone, Wmeath), McGrath (Tyrone), Morton (Ayrshire) Smith (Blackwater Bridge, Cavan), Smith (Ardnamurchan Sco), Smythe (Dublin); Whiteford (Antrim & then Argyll), Wyl(l)ie (Ayrshire)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Whiteford, MacLeod, McDougall, McIsaac, Peacock, Dickson, Fenton
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 September 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
Revisions:

Whiteford/MacDougall were married on Raasay
All their children were born on Rassay
Archibald died 1867 age 47 on Raasay of suddenness
He was the infamous Drainer of Raasay and there were songs sang because of him.

All details available here https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Norman Scobbie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Skye & Raasay Whiteford, Whyteford, McLeod, McDougall, McIssac, Peacock, McKenzi
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 June 21 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Anne,

"Margaret Ann Whiteford bn 1859 married James Peacock on 13 July 1883 at Greenock."

My mother is a Peackock from Skye, James and Margaret were my Grandfathers, Grandparents. I think that you might have some wrong information though. I think James was born in Paisley in 1861. I can give you some more information about this, if you like?...we can compare notes in case i'm wrong.

Also Margaret lived in 11 Bayfield Cottages. I have copies of Valuations from 1914 to 1940 As you say, Margaret died in 1937. James Peackock was the tennent in 1940. I've been to Bayfield cottages. My Mother remembers being there as a child. Her name was (Maiden) also Margaret Peacock.