Author Topic: Salway College, Fillebrook Road, Leytonstone  (Read 5991 times)

Offline david1701

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Salway College, Fillebrook Road, Leytonstone
« on: Wednesday 19 August 15 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

My Grandfather Edwin Andrew La Roche (sometimes Laroche) was an 11 year old pupil at Salway College, Leytonstone in the 1901 Census.

I'm trying to track down either a photo of the college, or a map showing it, if at all possible.  Or, indeed, any other information about the College (I've already seen the info on the british-history.ac.uk website, thanks).

I understand the College closed in 1915 (having moved to Fillebrook Road sometime in the 1890s from another location in Leyton) - and I also know that Fillebrook Road has changed significantly since those days, because of the construction of the A12.

I've got copies of the Old Ordnance Survey Maps for Leytonstone (1893) and Leytonstone & Leyton (1915), but neither of them show any obvious colleges on Fillebrook Road.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
David

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Salway College, Fillebrook Road, Leytonstone
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 18:33 BST (UK) »
In 1911, the schoolmaster Ellis Pulling was enumerated at Nos 56-58.  Google maps seems to show a modern block of flats (Avondale court) now occupying this site.  It looks like Salway College was a small boarding school.  Press advertisements c1900 offering "A sound commercial education for boys from nine guineas a term. No extras. Home comforts. Liberal table".

Edit: 56 to 58 look to be extant but now in Grove Green Road as a result of renaming/redevelopment http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=19&lat=51.5685&lon=0.0068&layers=173&right=BingHyb

Offline david1701

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 23:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Sc00p - you could be right.  I never thought of checking in 1911.  Presumably you used the census to get the address?  How did you find it please?  My searches for Ellis Pulling drew a blank.

However, the length of road where Avondale Court now is, is shown as "New Fillebrook Road" on the 1915 OS map - with "Fillebrook Rd" being the length to the north-east - the far side of Fairlop Road - ie, the bit that's no longer there!  So I don't think I can yet be certain where the College was located.

Anyone got any further thoughts please?

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 August 15 01:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Sc00p - you could be right.  I never thought of checking in 1911.  Presumably you used the census to get the address?  How did you find it please?  My searches for Ellis Pulling drew a blank.

However, the length of road where Avondale Court now is, is shown as "New Fillebrook Road" on the 1915 OS map - with "Fillebrook Rd" being the length to the north-east - the far side of Fairlop Road - ie, the bit that's no longer there!  So I don't think I can yet be certain where the College was located.

Anyone got any further thoughts please?

Try PALLING  for the  last  census

Offline david1701

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 August 15 07:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks jan57 - I've got it now  :)

I tried "Pilling" but didn't think about "Palling"!

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 August 15 19:04 BST (UK) »
If you look at census enumerators sheet for 1911 you can see Pulling/Palling was 2 doors from "Gainsborough Lodge/Wallwood Road".  I suspect the road must have been renumbered when they dropped the old & new prefix.  For the number of students/boarders, they must have been quite substantial buildings.  Taking a fresh look, I think that means the college would have been numbers 191/193 on the more modern map.  They would appear to be under the A12.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=19&lat=51.5711&lon=0.0100&layers=173&right=BingHyb

Offline david1701

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 August 15 22:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks again Sc00p - your suggestions seem just about right to me - and it was good to see the side by side maps which seem to reinforce what you say.  I hadn't come across that website before, but it seems very useful.  I'm sure I'll check it out again.

It was also interesting to see that there were a number of foreign students at the college in 1911.  It seems to show that Mr Pulling/Palling's advertisements were paying off -

http://hemeroteca.lavanguardia.com/preview/1905/06/27/pagina-10/33379204/pdf.html

Thanks for your help.  :)

Offline Webby2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi.... I hope these will be of interest to you. I found this book a few months ago, it belongs to my 88 year old Dad. It's called a History of Leytonstone published 1874. These two pictures of Salway School and College are in it.
Best wishes.

Offline david1701

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 May 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Webby2,

This is very interesting - I haven't seen these photos before. 

However, because of the date of publication you mention (1874), I think this is likely to be the original Salway College.  My understanding is that it moved from its location in Leyton High Road, to Fillebrook Road some time after 1886 and by 1905 (information from http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/essex/vol6/pp233-240#fnn131). 

Because of this, I think this is unlikely to be the building my grandfather attended in 1901.  Nevertheless, many thanks for the info - it's all very helpful  :).

Regards,
David