Author Topic: Is anyone researching the Langs of Renfrewshire?  (Read 8513 times)

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is anyone researching the Langs of Renfrewshire?
« on: Wednesday 19 August 15 16:40 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested in sharing information with anyone working on this family. My 2xgreat grandfather James Lang was born in 1815 in Houston and Killelan(West Glen I believe) His parents were Gabriel Lang (b. c1784 and likely died bef 1851 census) and Elizabeth Patereson (b. c1783 and died 4 Jul 1854 Abbey Renfrewshire) James married Margaret Jack (b. c1817 and died 3 Jan 1900 at 15 Kempock, Gourock. They married 5 June 1841 in Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire. They had 10 children. My great grandmother Georgina Jane Lang (1842-1918) was their eldest daughter. Her siblings were:James  b 1844, Elizabeth Paterson b 1846, George b 1849, Gabriel b 1851, Margaret Stewart b 1853, John Boyd b 1855, Janet b 1858, Wm b 1861 and Malcolm b 1862.
Looking forward to making some connections,
regards, Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone researching the Langs of Renfrewshire?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 August 15 06:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm not researching the Lang family but found these and thought they may be useful.

Births:

Gabriel Lang
born: 30 Jan 1784
place:Houston,Renfrew
parents:John Lang & Isobel Baxter

Elizabeth Paterson
born: 16 Nov 1783
place:Houston,Renfrew
parents: James Paterson & Agnes Barr

Regards, Kim

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 August 15 15:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Kim. I did have that information but I appreciate your efforts on my behalf.
Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 15 14:11 BST (UK) »
Is nobody researching the Lang family?

Offline lyoung03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 16 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I am!  No idea if we intersect at all, but I have an Elisabeth Lang in my tree.  She married William Burton August 1818 in Kilmacolm.  I have no information any further back from this, but given the marriage year, and daughters born in 1818 and 1820, I'd guess a birth year in the late 1780's-late 1790's.  I also believe I've found her on the 1841, 51, and 61 census' in Greenock.

I'm always hoping for more information (as I know everyone on this site is!), so if you are connected to this Elisabeth, I'd love to connect!
Henderson/Mckendrick, Burton, Lang, Simpson- Renfrewshire
Brett, Hudson, Hardy, Cundith- Norfolk/Suffolk
Judge, Jordan, Howard, Dougherty- Ireland and New York/New Jersey

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 16 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm not, but I am :D .  If you connect to the Lang families of sugar refiners in Greenock, 1820s-1900s, you'll find considerable info at  www.mawer.clara.net/sugarll.html
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 February 16 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi lyoung03,
Is Elizabeth Widowed by 1841?
Is she using Walton or her maiden name in 1851/1861 Census?
(I am struggling to find her on Census)
What year, pob does she have in 1851/1861 Census?

Familysearch has a few possibles for her Christening 1792-1799 so need to narrow down pob.

Trish   :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 February 16 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello lyoung03,
I took a quick look at my tree but didn't find an Elizabeth Lang that fit into that time period unfortunately. Elizabeth is certainly a name that appears frequently. My Langs were sometimes found in Greenock but more often in Houston and Killelan or Gourock. There is likely a remote connection but I can't see it yet. Too bad. I would love to connect with another Lang descendant.
Regards, Nan

Offline lyoung03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 February 16 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Trish- She was using Burton on those census. I believe that she was widowed by the 1851 census.  The 1841 census lists her birth as 1791 Renfrewshire, 1851 census shows 1788 Lanarkshire, and the 1861 census shows 1787 Lanarkshire.  All have her living in Greenock. Her marriage to William Burton is shown as August 1818 Kilmacolm. 

Now a question as I am Stateside and still learning about international records...Would parish marriage records or any state record have information about the parents of the bride and groom in Scotland/UK in general?  Here, I've seen (in my experience so far at least) that parent's names etc. may not be included in the indexed information, but do remain on the originals.  So going to the State Archives is worthwhile to possibly get one more generation back.  Is this the same in Scotland? Will it be worthwhile to make a side trip (while visiting Glasgow anyway) to the towns/local archives to try and gather these names?

Nan-As I was browsing through the forum, I saw your thread title and I had to restrain my giddiness and remind myself that just because we're researching the same family name doesn't mean anything.  However, given that we're looking in the same region, I agree with you that there is likely some kind of connection!

Cheers-Leslie
Henderson/Mckendrick, Burton, Lang, Simpson- Renfrewshire
Brett, Hudson, Hardy, Cundith- Norfolk/Suffolk
Judge, Jordan, Howard, Dougherty- Ireland and New York/New Jersey