Author Topic: Is anyone researching the Langs of Renfrewshire?  (Read 8568 times)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone researching the Langs of Renfrewshire?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 07:39 BST (UK) »
isbean

Very interested to see if WE match!  My LANG's are extremely illusive?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 08:57 BST (UK) »
According to the 1855 birth certificate of James Watson Purvis his parents married in August 1844 in Linlithgow, however SP have the marriage recorded in Barony.
In 1855 the family were living at 30 Grace Street, Barony. In both 1851 and 1861 the family of a John Lang and Agnes Lang nee Shaw were also living in Grace Street ( at no 52 in 1851 and 62 in 1861). Census says John Lang was also born in Pollockshaws ( around 1821/2). John Lang died on 24th Feb 1890. He was a Retired Machinary Merchant, age 69 married to Ann Shaw and his parents are given as Thomas Lang, Handloom Tenter (dec'd) and Mary Lang nee Wallace (dec'd). Given John's place of birth and the fact he was living in the same street as your Lang family, I think it is possible that John was a brother of Jane Lang. There are a couple of Lang births recorded in Eastwood ( reg district for Pollockshaws) for parents Thomas Lang and Mary Wallace - Janet 1808 and James 1810 - but no later births, including one for John, who we know for sure was a child of theirs. There are therefore possibly other children of this marriage also not recorded.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 09:02 BST (UK) »
Janet's death in Canada was recorded in the 13th and 14th August 1897 editions of the Glasgow Herald, but yields no further clues for you.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline isbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for checking. I don't have access to the Glasgow Herald records.

Offline isbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 23:58 BST (UK) »
According to the 1855 birth certificate of James Watson Purvis his parents married in August 1844 in Linlithgow, however SP have the marriage recorded in Barony.[/i]

I haven't figured out the reason for this. Robert Turnbull Purvis, groom, was born on the east coast in Prestonpans, somewhat nearby to Linlithgow. But, seems weird.

In 1855 the family were living at 30 Grace Street, Barony. In both 1851 and 1861 the family of a John Lang and Agnes Lang nee Shaw were also living in Grace Street ( at no 52 in 1851 and 62 in 1861).

Hmmm... never picked up on this. Very interesting. I will follow up.

Census says John Lang was also born in Pollockshaws ( around 1821/2). John Lang died on 24th Feb 1890. He was a Retired Machinary Merchant, age 69 married to Ann Shaw and his parents are given as Thomas Lang, Handloom Tenter (dec'd) and Mary Lang nee Wallace (dec'd). Given John's place of birth and the fact he was living in the same street as your Lang family, I think it is possible that John was a brother of Jane Lang. There are a couple of Lang births recorded in Eastwood ( reg district for Pollockshaws) for parents Thomas Lang and Mary Wallace - Janet 1808 and James 1810 - but no later births, including one for John, who we know for sure was a child of theirs. There are therefore possibly other children of this marriage also not recorded.
Isobel

Very plausible... and a father named Thomas, too. But no Marys anywhere in the family.

I am new to RootsChat and can't figure out how to reply to specific posts, so please forgive the repeated preamble. Thank you very much for your thoughts.
Jean

Offline isbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Biztar... where is your DNA posted? I am on family tree DNA, Ancestry, 23&me and Gedmatch. Thank you! Jean

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 29 June 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
Think there was a Lang provost of Renfrew back in the 60's?

Skoosh.

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 29 June 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
Isbean

You will find my DNA on Anc* and GedM*.

I am supposedly descended from Agnes, the daughter of James LANG and Agnes SINCLAIR who was born at Chryston, Lanarkshire c1816.  Her birthplace and DOB changes with each census though.  There is no marriage of James LANG and Agnes SINCLAIR.

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline MACSIM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 18 August 18 06:12 BST (UK) »
Almost a year to the day of being 3 years later to this post!!

I'm researching the LANGS of Renfrewshire! And hoping you may help me.
Searching records available and other Ancestry members, I can take my Lang family back to PATRICK LANG, born 16/2/1691 (1st query) Kilmacolm (and assumed died there) who married Grizall (or Grizel) Barnhill 18/12/1716 in Kilmacolm. Are you tracing this line of Langs? The date of birth came from an Ancestry member and I cannot remember who , so searched ScotlandsPeople to no avail (don't appear to have records going back that far) to verify date of birth. Do you have a copy of birth record for Patrick?

My Lang family were predominantly farmers, born and lived in Kilmacolm and Kilbarchan areas and only later on spread a wee bit to Erskne and Greenock. Only in the mid-late 1800's did the Langs start moving further afield. My 2nd Gt-Grandfather (son of Alexander Lang) though emigrated to Australia in 1837, sponsored by John Dumblane Lang, settling in New South Wales.
The second Query is of Patrick's Gt-Grandson, John [b.16/3/1776], son of Arthur.  Only two records come up on SotlandsPeople for the birth of John's son Alexander born in Kilbarchan and each shows a different mother - Sarah Whithill and Elizabeth Spiers. Ancestry members are divided; many showing or the other. I am leaning towards Elizabeth Spiers, only because one daughter is named Elizabeth, and none of the other daughters are named Sarah after the mother, as most families did back then. Are you able to help with this puzzle?