Author Topic: Is anyone researching the Langs of Renfrewshire?  (Read 8515 times)

Offline Graham_of_that_Ilk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone researching the Langs of Renfrewshire?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 27 January 22 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I believe he was a forester on 'Gartshore Estate' along with his father James ROBERTS, and his father William ROBERTS. I guess this is why William and Ellen ROBERTS (nee PHILMORE), named their 1st born Euphemia Gartshore ROBERTS.

G

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone researching the Langs of Renfrewshire?
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 27 January 22 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Now a question as I am Stateside and still learning about international records...Would parish marriage records or any state record have information about the parents of the bride and groom in Scotland/UK in general? 

In Scotland, before 1855, a parish marriage record occasionally names the bride's father, rarely names the groom's father, and I have never seen one that names the couple's mothers. However you can often find the names of the parents of people married before 1855 if they died in Scotland after 1855, because a Scottish civil death certificate names both parents of the deceased, including the maiden surname of the deceased's mother (assuming that the informant knew this, of course, and that the informant got it right, which is sometimes not the case).

From 1855 onwards, a statutory civil marriage certificate gives the full names of both parties' parents, including the maiden surnames of their mothers.

English, Welsh and Irish marriage certificates (1837 onwards in E and W, 1845 onwards for Protestants and 1864 onwards for Catholics in Ireland) usually name the couple's fathers but not their mothers. E, W and I death certificates contain no information about the parents of the deceased, and sometimes not even the name of the deceased's spouse.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.