Author Topic: Elizabeth Lee  (Read 5061 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Lee
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 August 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
That is brilliant help. You don't have any research on William Lee, father of Elizabeth or his brother James I think they were farmers in Upwell, one on the Norfolk side and the other just in Cambridge. They possibly had a hand in starting the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 August 15 16:16 BST (UK) »
William's will is available on Ancestry (the version I have) - he died in 1845. It's very long and I think suggests he owned 1200 houses??  I think it tells me he had four daughters - the two married to Huddlestons, a Mary, married to James Gay, and another whose name I haven't spotted but think is married to Robert John Child (these four men are continually named together so I assume are all sons in law)

A possible - although Mary is of this parish
James Gay, 21
Mary Lee, 21
Marriage 31 Dec 1821, Norwich

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 August 15 17:06 BST (UK) »
That ties those names nicely. I had come across them whilst googling William but didn't realise the significance. I think it will take me a long time to read the will, which I have now located on Ancestry. I struggle to read that type of script, but will have a go. Thanks so much for all your hard work on my behalf.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline StuartatThrelkeld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 21:12 BST (UK) »
Right! Several points. Elizabeth married 14 August 1835. She was sister to both Ann and Mary Lee. Their parents were William Lee and Ann Failes of Upwell. Ann married Peter's brother Rev George James Huddleston (ne Croft). One of Peter's other brothers - Purefoy - married a daughter of Mary.
There is no - repeat NO - connection between these Huddlestons (who assumed the name in April 1819).
I am currently compiling "The Huddleston formerly Croft Family" my second book following "My Cresswell Family", and will welcome any help from anyone.
Already I have  many facts about the Crofts and the eleven children of George Croft who changed his name (pursuant to the will of his godfather George Huddleston of Croydon but of a Lincolnshire family)
I am descended from George James.

Stuart
Cresswell Huddleston (formerly Croft), Martin, Symonds, Robinson (London Antrim Isaland of Dominica), McCreadie. Localities include: HER, SAL, WLS, AUS, NZ, CAN, SCT, ANT. Local History: Threlkeld, Cumbria and district. Industrila History - use of water, mining

Offline StuartatThrelkeld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 11:39 BST (UK) »
Five years on. following more work, I am publishing "The Huddleston formerly Croft Family" in sections to an e-mail list. Part already issued covers the LEE and GAY families and their connections to the HUDDLESTONs. There is too much to put here other than the result is that I find my mother's parents Arthur James Croft HUDDLESTON and May Ellen SYMONDS were sixth cousins! If anyone wants the full information (as far as I know it) please e-mail me at stuart.cresswell@threlkeld.org.uk. (There is a connection with the HUDLESTONs of Hutton John near Penrith Cumbria, but it is not ancestral - one of George James HUDDLESTONs daughters married a scion of the Hutton John family.) Stuart
Cresswell Huddleston (formerly Croft), Martin, Symonds, Robinson (London Antrim Isaland of Dominica), McCreadie. Localities include: HER, SAL, WLS, AUS, NZ, CAN, SCT, ANT. Local History: Threlkeld, Cumbria and district. Industrila History - use of water, mining