Author Topic: Dales of Newcastle Upon Tyne  (Read 3211 times)

Offline mardicar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dales of Newcastle Upon Tyne
« on: Sunday 23 August 15 01:58 BST (UK) »
I have a Frances Dale (b 1873), dau of Shallot Dale, who m Charles Hervey Smith (1811) of Aspley House, Beds.  Shallot Dale was a Soliciter of Whickham Fellside, Newcastle.  I thought this would be an easy search, but find that there are three Frances Dales born about the same time, all daughters of a Shallot Dale.

Frances, b 1873, dau of the Soliciter
Frances, dau of Shallot Dale and Dorothy Metcalfe, b 11 Oct 1785
Frances, b 20 Dec 1782 and twin to Maria

There is also a Frances Dale (father undetermined) who m Richard Brewster 27 Sep 1821 at St. Andrew, Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Other than the Soliciter, one of the Shallot Dales was a wine and spirits merchant of Moseley St, Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Can anyone help me sort this out?  I would like to locate the mother of my Frances.  BTW this Frances (b 1783) was adopted by her Aunt Elizabeth (Dale) Muncaster, wife of James Muncaster.

There is a Shallot Dale, son of Peter, b 20 Nov 1754 bp Christ Church, Tynemouth.  Which one might he be?

Offline Avia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dales of Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Mardicar

I have done some research and I think that you are looking at the Frances who was born as a twin to Maria in 1782. From what I have been able to find their father was 'Shallett' Dale and mother was Barbara Sadler, who married 16 Nov 1775, All Saints, Newcastle Upon Tyne.

The Frances born to Shallett Dale and Dorothy Mi(e)tcalfe is unlikely to be yours if you have information to confirm that your Frances' father was a solicitor, as in a local news report the Shallett Dale who marries Dorothy Mi(e)tcalfe, is a seaman and Captain of the Amphitrite.

Reports and notices from local newspapers make several references to Shallet(t) Dale, Attorney at Law, representing conveyancing matters etc.,  e.g.

1777 "Mr Shallet Dale, Attorney in Pilgrim Street, Newcastle"
1782 "Mr Shallett Dale, Attorney at Law, Savile-Row, Newcastle"

18 Nov 1775
Notice of a marriage between Mr. Dale, Attorney of Newcastle to Miss Sadler of the high-bridge.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NVNP-GJ4

21 Dec 1782
Notice of the birth the day before, of twin daughters to the wife of Mr. Shallet Dale at his house in Savile-Row, Newcastle.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J99X-QV9
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NDJR-TY3

22 Mar 1800
Notice of the death of Shallett Dale Esq., of Bird-Hill House, near Gibside, County Durham.

5 Jul 1800
Notice of the impending sale by auction of Bird-Hill House in the Parish of Whickham, County Durham, late in the possession of Mr. Shallett Dale, Deceased.

References to holdings of some of Shallett Dale's legal transactions and his will, and papers relating to Barbara Dale, Widow of Shallet Dale, late of Whickham Fellside mentioning Bird-Hill House, together with reference to Elizabeth Moncaster
on the following link:-

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/Pages/AdvancedSearchCatalogueDetail.aspx?SearchType=Param&SearchID=fb792a36-26f7-424e-bbc1-399eef565c53&Page=3&ItemID=169980

Also interestingly it would appear that Shallet Dale's Uncle was a Edward Henzell who married Sarah Dale in 1747 and who died 19 Feb 1780.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N6LK-G2C

1747, September 24. Edw d Henzell, Sarah Dale.

Possible death for Sarah Dale
1765, February 1. Sarah, Wife of Edward Henzell of Howdon panns, Glass-maker.

Both of the above refs. noted on the following link:-

http://archive.org/stream/archaeologiaael16unkngoog/archaeologiaael16unkngoog_djvu.txt

26 Feb 1780
Notice of the death the previous Saturday of Mr. Edward Henzell, Late of Howden Panns, at his nephew Shallett Dale's home in Jesmond.  It also reports that Mr. Henzell has left a considerable fortune to Mr. Dale.

18 Mar 1780

Notice of the sale or letting of a dwelling House at Jesmond.  Apply Mr. Dale, Attorney at his office in Pilgrim Street or at the house in Jesmond.

Offline mardicar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 23:44 GMT (UK) »
I am very late in replying.  Life happens.  Thank you for your interesting information.  I have determined that my Frances is definitely the daughter of Shallot Dale, a wine merchant, who married Barbara Sadler.  She had a twin Maria, as you note  Shallot Dale, the attorney is a different man and married Dorothy Metcalfe although they apparently had two daughters named Frances (bp 1785 and 1789) among quite a few other children. 

I think Mr. Edward Henzell is probably the uncle of the attorney.  They were living in Jesmond and I have not found that location in any of my research re: my Frances Dale.  The Durham County site refers to several transactions of Barbara Dale and Elizabeth Muncaster (sister of Shallot Dale) at:

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/Pages/AdvancedSearchCatalogueDetail.aspx?SearchType=Param&SearchID=fb792a36-26f7-424e-bbc1-399eef565c53&Page=3&ItemID=169980

Search for "Dale."  Of course it is probable that these two Shallot Dales are connected by family ties and it would be interesting to figure them out.  I came across a Peter Dale baptized 20 Nov 1754 at Christ Church, Tynemouth.  I wonder?

Offline mardicar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Oops!  I goofed.  Peter Dale had a son Shallot Dale baptised 1754.  He lived in North Shields and his son Shallot was apparently the attorney who died in 1814...unless there were two Shallot Dales who died in the same year.

I wonder who was the father of Shallot Dale the wine merchant... (SEE THE NEXT POST)

Offline mardicar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry.com shows the Shallett Dale who m Barbara Sadler as the son of John Dale (brother of Peter in the previous post) and Frances Shallett (of course no sources are cited).   

Peter, John and sister Sarah's mother was Frances Shallet (http://www.ndfhs.org.uk/pdfs/Vol-12-No-2.pdf).  Thus the entry of the forename, "Shallett."

If this is true then Edward Henzell would be uncle to both of the contemporary Shalletts (wine merchant and attorney) assuming the sister of Peter and John is the Sarah who m Henzell.

Do you know anything about John and his family?  I would like to locate evidence for the claims on Ancestry.com.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 23:40 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of wills for the names you are researching,
in the Durham inheritance database,
If you can access them they may be helpful with your research
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Frances Dale Brewster
is mentioned in the data base, in Shallets will of 1831, I am assuming this is her brother
as it states, bachelor of Rennington
siblings mentioned  John Dale, Dinah Dale,Susan Hewison nee Dale,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 December 15 01:00 GMT (UK) »
James Moncasters esq of Wallsend, wife Elizabeth
date of probate, 29th April,1797
is witnessed by Shallet Dale Attorney of Newcastle Upon Tyne

Offline mardicar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 December 15 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Frances Dale Brewster died in Yorkshire.  Frances Dale Smith ("my" Frances) died at Aspley House, Bedfordshire.

“Tuesday, the 23rd [Jul 1861], ult., at Aspley House, aged 78, Mrs. Smith.  She was daughter of the late Shallot Dale, Esq., of Newcastle, and married, ….. the late Colonel Charles Hervey Smith, of Aspley House, near Woburn, but was left a widow in 1857.  Her eldest son, Mr. Charles Hervey Smith, present owner of Aspley House, is a magistrate for Bedfordshire, and a .…y-Tax Commissioner.”

Her age clearly puts her birth in 1782.   If she was b 20 Dec 1782 she would have been 78 in Jul 1861 when she died and would have been 79 at her next birthday>>b. 1782.  Thus she is the one who had a twin Maria.  She also named a daughter Maria.

Shallet Dale, the attorney, m to Dorothy had two daughters named Francis as I mentioned above, b in 1785 and 1789.  The first Frances d in 1789 and the second died as Frances Brewster in Yorkshire, 1872. She had married Richard Brewster in 1821.  In the will of 1831 the siblings named are children of Shallet Dale and his wife Dorothy.  Susan Hewison is actually Lawson.  An extract of the will of Shallet Dale (d 1814) notes that he names sons John, Henry, Shallet; wife Dorothy; dau. Susanna Lawson wife of Wm Lawson; daus Dinah, Frances and Dorothy Maria.  Property in Dockwray Square.

As to the fact that James Muncaster's will is witnessed by Shallot Dale Attorney is not surprising.  If the two Shallot Dales were cousins (as I now believe) and living in the same general area it is probable that all were at least acquainted.  Also, James Muncaster's wife was sister of Shallet the wine merchant.