Author Topic: Molyneaux and Joseph BELL - New York  (Read 10655 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Molyneaux and Joseph BELL - New York
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 10:03 BST (UK) »
This looks like the grandson of John and Georgiana - Lists of Men Ordered to Report to Local Board for Military Duty, 1917–1918 - John Bell Treanor Jr - Student - Entrainment Date 7 Oct 1918 - Entrainment Camp Students Army Training Coros, Sewanee, Tenn S A T C - 

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline SpudKiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
From the National Police Gazette (New York), October 7 1848:

ATTEMPTED TO KILL HIS BRIDE
A person by the name of Molyneaux Bell, employed as a salesman in an extensive dry goods store in the city, was recently arrested and held to bail by Justice Bleakley in the sum of $1000, to answer a charge of having violently seized his wife Mrs Mary Augusta Bell by the throat, dragged her on the floor, and threatened to take her life with a dumb bell which he brandished over her head, in the course of five or six weeks after the parties had been united in the holy bonds of matrimony.
YIKES!
BELL - Crumlin / Glenavy / New Zealand
CORMICAN - Crumlin
WHITE - Crumlin
MATHEWS - Comber NI
TOLERTON - New Zealand

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
This was a notice Molyneaux Bell placed in the NY Tribune which might relate to the incident in the Police Gazette.

NO T I C E — T h e absence of my wife Augusta having been satisfactorily explained and it appearing that she has not gone to Philadelphia or-New-Haven, I take this occasion to retract my former card published in the Sun and Tribune of the 23d and 25th inst and to express my regret
that it was ever published. Papers of the above cities that inserted mv former card will please give this a notice Sept 26 1848   -  Molyneaux Bell 

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 14:08 BST (UK) »
Here's the earlier notice:

Notice: - Whereas my wife Augusta Bell formerly Augusta Tucker has left my bed and board without just cause and is supposed to have gone to New Haven or Philadelphia, I caution and forbid all persons harboring or trusting her on my account, as I will pay no debts of her contracting. Philadelphia and New Haven papers will confer a favor by giving the above a notice.

September 22nd 1848                                                                                 MOLYNEAUX BELL

There's a nice engraving of Molyneux Bell's store at 58 Canal Street here:  https://exhibitions.cul.columbia.edu/files/original/c52eac2bc818f5fea213f9c1280d44b4.jpg
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 15:06 BST (UK) »
Molyneaux seems to have been enumerated twice in both 1870 and 1880.

In 1880, as well as the New York entry posted by Sandra, there is this chap in Cimarron, New Mexico:

Molyneux (transcribed as Moleneux) Bell, 53 Merchant, born New York, father from Tennessee, mother from Scotland.

And in 1870 as well as the one in Ward 12, District 17, New York, there is this one in Ward 12 District 2:

Molyneux (transcribed as Molyneuxx) Bell 45  born Michigan
Ann F Bell 45
Florence 13  New York
William 11  New York
with the same servants: Bridget Howe, Henry Harbridge, Samuel Brown

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 15:25 BST (UK) »
There was a second enumeration in 1870 in New York so that explains that apparent duplication

http://stevemorse.org/census/1870secondenumeration.html

Offline SpudKiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 27 August 15 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys, you have been Fantastic. So Fantastic I am going to chance my arm and cast the net a bit wider.

There are other family members buried in Mt Olivet Cemetery, Nashville.

Robert BELL (father) died 1864, Sep 3 (age approx 70y), and brother Thomas Miller BELL died 1865 (age approx 30y). Could they have been Civil War casualties?

Anna Maria Emma BELL (sister) died 1892 (age approx 61y), but with her maiden name so may not have married.

William Robert BELL (brother) died 1894 (age approx 61y), so may have had a family. There is a Mary Miller BELL (1871-1888) on the headstone beneath his name. a daughter maybe?

Rebecca BELL (sister, sometimes seen written as Robena) died 1864 (age approx 26y). May have been married to a RUTLEDGE. Another possible war casualty?

Georgina Hyndman BELL (sister) died 1912 (age approx 69y). Who married John Ormsby TREANOR and we know a bit about them now.

And Eliza Jane BELL (mother) who died 1869, Jan 30, aged approx 64. Not much more to know there.

There was another sister, Jane, who was on the 1849 "Elizabeth" passenger list, aged 22. I have no idea what happened to her.

Anything I get back from here will be pure bonus. :)
CORMICAN - Crumlin
WHITE - Crumlin
MATHEWS - Comber NI
TOLERTON - New Zealand

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 27 August 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
William Robert Bell was living with John Ormsby Treanor and Georgina Bell - Nashvile Tennessee 1880

John O. Treanor  43 Born Ire. Insurance Secretary.
Georgia H. Treanor  35 Born Ire.
John B. Treanor  7 Born TN.
Joseph O. Treanor  5 Born TN.
Annie Bell Treanor  3 Born TN.
Wm. R. Bell  45   Retired Chaplain. Widowed.
Robena Bell  13 Niece.
Mary M. Bell  10 Niece.
Anna M. E. Bell  37 Sister-in-law.
Thos. N. Livengston  18 Nephew. Born 1862 Tennessee.

Sandra

Offline SpudKiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 27 August 15 10:59 BST (UK) »
Robert Bell arrived Tennessee 1844 - 1849 - Date and port of arrival or date and place of declaration of intention. Extracted from various original documents located at the Metro/Davidson County Archives in Nashville, Tennessee. Place of origin and book number of original record are also provided.

Sandra
Sandra, do you have more information on this?
CORMICAN - Crumlin
WHITE - Crumlin
MATHEWS - Comber NI
TOLERTON - New Zealand