Author Topic: Germany - LEUTZ family in Mosbach, 18thC and before...  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Germany - LEUTZ family in Mosbach, 18thC and before...
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 March 19 15:26 BST (UK) »
I was there, at the LMA, looking into Mental asylums when I was doing my AdvDip in Local history at Oxford (great online course btw)... so used the opportunity. It basically just confirmed what we already knew,  just a few years in between.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 09:56 BST (UK) »
Gosh, Garstonite,
Thanks so much for unearthing all those.  The spelling of the family name has certainly taken a few twists and turns through the years.  I wonder whether Jimvin will now be able to fit together some kind of tree after his look through the Mosbach records in the near future...
Keith

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 16:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info. It seems Karlsruhe archive will be better. There are no micro films at Mosbach and I had one film that I would like to check.

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 April 19 07:58 BST (UK) »
The Karlsruhe archive was really handy and I've managed to go a few generations back.
Johannes Gottfried Leutz - Johannes Valentinus Leutz b.1722 d. 1799 - Johannes Peter Leutz b. 1691 d. 1766 - Peter Leutz b. ? D. 1731 -  Leonhardt Leutz b. ? d. ? It seems they were from Diedesheim for Peter and Leonhardt an old suburb of Mosbach... previously called Neckerelz. Peter was a Barrel maker.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 April 19 20:22 BST (UK) »
Didn't I read somewhere that Godfrey Lloyds was originally a barrel maker?
Not entirely clear from your last post, Jimvin, who the direct ancestors of Godfrey LLOYDS/LEUTZ are...
Keith

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 April 19 20:50 BST (UK) »
Keith, from memory his son Valentine took on the barrel making duties whilst he had the pub. It seems, almost certain, that Godfrey was born Johannes (like his father) Gottfried Leutz and chose to go by Godfrey Lloyds. There are quite a few Johannes in the family then a middle... like some do today, I assume some go by middle names to avoid confusion day to day. The document at the archive which listed a family tree also had the unknown detail of Johannes Gottfried Leutz, as in he was born in Mosbach and then doesn't die there (like most of the rest)... but no one quite knew where he did! I look out some of the docs for your records.

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 April 19 20:52 BST (UK) »
It goes in that order JGLeutz (Godfrey), father JV Leutz, grandfather JP Leutz, GGrandfather P Leutz and Leonhardt GG Grandfather. Peter and Leonhardt it seems came from Diedesheim (Neckerelz) which is all of 2 miles from Mosbach.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 April 19 21:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that clarification, Jimvin!
Some splendid research undertaken by you there in Germany.  Very exciting to get back to the 17thC with the family. TD will be/should be very interested to hear all this...
Keith