Author Topic: Born in Braan, Urray, R&C  (Read 8432 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Born in Braan, Urray, R&C
« on: Thursday 27 August 15 17:48 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any idea where this place was?   Surfing shows that it was in Perthshire but it's mentioned in the Urray Parish register.  There's about three days between the birth and the baptism so am wondering if the parents were on the move when baby decided to arrive.

The baptism is Don(al)d son to Donald Mackenzie
Could there have been a mis-spelling and the place was "Brahan"?

I've attached the entry, plus a few more to show the vicinity.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Born in Braan, Urray, R&C
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 August 15 18:43 BST (UK) »
There is the River Braan, a tributary of the Tay.
There is the River Bran, a river and Strath Bran in Ross and Cromarty.
There is Castle Braan, also spelt Brahan, beside Dingwall, Ross and Cromarty. McKenzies lived there.

From Notingham University special collections :- Letter to Francis Humberston Mackenzie [later 1st Lord Seaforth], Castle Brahan, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland; 12 Oct. 1789

Regards

Malky

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 August 15 19:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Malky.

He must have been connected to the castle and its grounds in some way,
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 August 15 21:41 BST (UK) »
Aye Rena, a cluster of Mackenzie Big Hooses in Mid Ross, Brahan, Ord, Conon House, Fairburn, Coul, Kinkell, Scatwell etc'. MacLennan, Junor, Chisholm all local names.

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 August 15 00:54 BST (UK) »
Aye Rena, a cluster of Mackenzie Big Hooses in Mid Ross, Brahan, Ord, Conon House, Fairburn, Coul, Kinkell, Scatwell etc'. MacLennan, Junor, Chisholm all local names.

Skoosh.

Hi Skoosh,
Nice of you to drop by  :-*  :D

Every so often I cast about trying to find a clue for my father's M'kenzie heritage but the dice haven't fallen kindly for me yet   I had hoped that by now some am. genealogists would have claimed a couple of my "possible" ancestors up in Urray which would mean the "unclaimed" parents would be the ones who sired my Donald M'kenzie, blacksmith of Clyde Iron Works, Old Monkland.

I've not found any record of him being apprenticed to anyone, which could mean that his father or close relative taught him his trade and if that was the case the relative didn't have to declare or pay any fees to register his apprenticeship - (or did he learn his trade in the fencible armourers  :-\  )

I have a feeling that there was some link to John Mackenzie of Strathgarve who had interests in two iron works prior to the Clyde Iron Works that he had shares in and which became operable in 1786 - it was also near to where he lived.  Did Donald leave his parents to find work down south or did Donald's father travel down with his young family from the Highlands to work in the steel and coal industry? Are there any Strathgarve documents or books about the organising of buying land, building factories, employing skilled men.  Questions, questions, questions and no answers.

Donald's son John was manager of another of John of Strathgarve's interests in Dundyvan and as manager he lived in the only cottage in what amounts to Strathgarve's (very large - lol) garden.

When Donald's son Kenneth died there was a long lovely (and helpful) eulogy in a local newspaper that spelled out the humble background of the family.  I take it that humble means, not an aristocrat, not from a "high born" family.

"Mr. (Kenneth) Mackenzie was born seventy-three years ago at the Clyde Iron works, where, under the eye of Messrs. Dunlop, he received that excellent business training which stood so well to him in after years.  He was a man, too, who built his own fortune, who owed his success in life to his native ability, to his straightforwardness of purpose, to his unbending integrity, and to his resolute perseverance, because he began life empty handed, and at the bottom of the ladder with nothing to help him onward and upward but the characteristics we have just mentioned.  But to a man like Mr. Mackenzie this was all that was necessary, for to such good purpose did he apply them, and so absolutely trustworthy was he, that while quite a young man, he was promoted to the managership of the very iron works he entered as a boy

For twenty years, he served his employers to their highest satisfaction, while at the same time, he dealt faithfully with the men under him.  During this time, Messrs. Dunlop found it necessary, in order to meet the requirements of their growing trade connections, to build their first furnaces at Quarter, in Hamilton district, and Mr. Mackenzie was at once appointed to superintend the erection.  At that time an extensive work of this kind was something that anyone might have approached with fear and trembling, as great were the difficulties that lay in the way, and that required to be overcome.  But young Kenneth was not the man to be daunted.  He took the work in hand, and concentrating the whole of his energies upon the task, he soon had the satisfaction of seeing it brought to successful completion. 
After acting as manager for twenty years to this firm Mr. Mackenzie resolved to strike out for himself, and accordingly he tendered his resignation.  His employers offered him strong inducements to remain, but his mind was made up, and, to the great regret of everyone who had occasion to come in contact with him, he left the Clyde Iron Works to come to New Cumnock.  Before he left, however, Mr. Mackenzie was made recipient of several tokens of esteem, one of which was a valuable gold watch which had been subscribed for and presented by the workmen, and which bore an inscription showing forth their respect for him as a master and as a gentleman.  That was in 1858,..... "

Donald's son Ken had bought shares in a coal mine in New Cumnock, which was first advertised at £12,000. then offered for £8,000 minus the house.  The original owner kept an interest in the company and I have yet to discover where Ken and his brother John raised  the money to buy shares in a coal mine.   I have an idea that his brother-in-law, my gt grandfather John Crum stationer of Glasgow and his business contacts, might have lent him some/been guarantors, etc., but there's no proof, only guesswork.

(sigh)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 August 15 13:50 BST (UK) »
Good post Rena, what makes you think he was a country blacksmith? Have you had a look at the Monklands website,

http://wwww.monklands.co.uk/

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 August 15 15:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh. 

Yes, I've previously browsed that website a few times but they've added nothing new since last I visited. The mining website that it referred to has a plethora of information including names of ordinary human beings, unfortunately none are mine, although "Mr Mackenzie" might, or might not, be  :-\ 

I don't actually think Donald Mackenzie born in Urray was a country blacksmith, but he could have been apprenticed to a self employed "wright" (e.g. wright; millwright, shipwright, boatwright) that today would be termed as some form of "engineer" who could turn their hands to fitting things together to make a product

On the death certificate of one of Donald's sons he is noted as "master blacksmith, deceased" which indicates he could have been in charge of men working on one of the factory's shop floors, such as a Fitting Shop, Machine Shop, etc.  If he also worked in the Engine room he could have been present and worked on new steam boiler inventions which some of us learned about in our history lessons.

Just for the heck of it, attached is a photo taken two generations later of namesakes Kenneth M'kenzie (left) and his younger brother (my father) Donald M'kenzie, engineers, with their nephew Andrew Stephenson Dalglish (named in favour of his grandfather). All now deceased.  Just like Kenneth in the mid 19th century, young Andrew became an entrepreneur and ended up owning a precision engineering company in Belgium and one in America.  What goes around comes around eh?  :D

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 August 15 20:20 BST (UK) »
Good pic' Rena, one of my own Ross-shire Mackenzies was an engineer who served his time at a sugar plant manuf' in Glasgow. He managed a plantation in Cuba. They fair got aboot these Mackenzies.  ;D

Checked the Glasgow Incorporation of Hammermen for a possible relevant Mackenzie admission but no joy. I did find a John Crum, saddler, stranger, admitted 25 Jun' 1805, essay-a bridle. Stranger just means not related to guild member.

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 August 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
Aw, thanks for wading through the guild Hammermen records Skoosh, I really appreciate it.

I don't know about the Crum saddler as my branch up to the mid 19th century all worked in the weaving industry at various trades (printer, pattern maker, nailer, etc).  Even John Crum, stationer of Glasgow, served a full apprenticeship as a blacksmith in that industry, but as usual I too haven't found a record - possibly because he worked for a family member.

lol, you're right about the Mackenzie's getting about a bit - there's a Mackenzie River isn't there and when one delves into family history it seems they practically ran the American continent at one time   ::) (hahaha)   

I've had one bit of M'kenzie success this year that I've been searching for for ages - actually a few years.  My late cousin wanted me to find the company where his father (the oldest son thus had to be another John Crum lol) learned his trade under the eagle eye of an uncle, but all he could remember was as a child seeing an advertising brochure of Mackenzies, Glasgow, manufacturers of hooks, lifts/hoists for cranes.   Those were his words as he described the illustrations - if only I'd used some of my old grey cells from working in the engineering earth moving equipment myself down in Yorkshire, I would have known to look for "Block and Tackle" manufacturers and I would have found them in a blink of an eye. :-\

Skoosh, do you know anything about early 20th century Glasgow technical schools?  I ask because my father was sent up to Glasgow for his schooling and attended "St. Andrews".  I can see there's a large St Andrews church but no mention of it ever having a school.  He can't have been there very long because apparently his mother made a surprise visit and didn't like the way her sister-in-law treated her youngest offspring and had him pack his belongings.  "What shall we tell dad?" he asked his mother on the train ride down to Yorkshire.  "Don't mind your head about that hen, I'll deal with your father" she responded  ;D ;D  He was only ten years old and passed the exam for Hull Technical College, which at that time was entry at 10years of age.

Thanks once again Skoosh, I'm much obliged.

Rena (ms Crum)