Author Topic: Born in Braan, Urray, R&C  (Read 8366 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Born in Braan, Urray, R&C
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 30 August 15 16:48 BST (UK) »
Actually Skoosh, I couldn't really miss seeing mention of the "seer" because every time I typed "Mackenzie" into google the old tale kept coming up  :o

Like all dutiful sons before him Kenneth (the eventual coalmaster of New Cumnock) named his  first son after his father Donald but he added a middle name;  "Donald Alexander Mackenzie" b abt 1848 in Old Monkland (no baptism record of course). Unless I've missed him I don't think Ken's father Donald named any of his son's Donald, he gave his son the equivalent name of "Duncan".

Kenneth's wife died but he then had five more sons by his second wife, two carried her surname as a middle name and the other three were Kenneth, then Allan Cameron (in favour of his dead brother), the youngest being "Duncan Seaforth MACKENZIE".  Haha, was he named after Ken's father or Ken's maternal grandfather Donald M'kenzie?   ???

One thing I do know is that when surname's were introduced in Europe in the 11th century men often took the surname of the man they owed allegiance to although there was no blood tie.  All the images I've seen of Mackenzies are that they've got brown eyes (apparently the brown gene is usually stronger than the blue eyed gene), whereas if you looked at the 8 children my grandfather had you'd have 16 bright blue eyes staring back at you from the shortest girl of 5'9" to the tallest boy of 6'4.

lol @ Killin - surely not another puzzle - Garve, is outside of Urray isn't it? So who was John of Strathgarve - was he a self made man like Ken M'kenzie and did he and his wife have any children in the neighbouring parish?  Wives usually had their first born child back home with their mother in those days, all further children being born in the place where the couple lived which was where hubby worked.

I need another cup of tea lol
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 30 August 15 17:36 BST (UK) »
Have you read these
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Mackenzie,_1st_Baron_Seaforth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahan_Seer
REgards
Malky

Hello again Malky - you're definitely a male - you've chosen some bloodthirsty links I notice  ;D

Thanks for the pointers, I'd seen one years ago but not seen the other.  From reading the (so called) "Lady" Seaforth's punishment command I think the Spice Girls were a bit late with their "girl power" plea.

My problem is that I don't have any family stories, except four uncles suffered from shell shock WWI - unfortunately no names   :-\.  My father was the youngest of the tribe and his father died when he was 16, then when I was at my most curious I didn't see much of him due to WWII.  This meant we didn't see his relatives up in Scotland until 1950s when hordes of them were there to greet the sassenach family and I was overwhelmed - although I did notice that my dad's ancient maternal widowed aunt in Leith slept in a hole in the living room wall   :o
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 30 August 15 18:02 BST (UK) »
"my dad's ancient maternal widowed aunt in Leith slept in a hole in the living room wall"

That's a tenament bedroom.  ::) ::) ::)

Regards

Malky

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 30 August 15 18:44 BST (UK) »
"my dad's ancient maternal widowed aunt in Leith slept in a hole in the living room wall"

That's a tenament bedroom.  ::) ::) ::)

Regards

Malky

She was lucky to have a bedroom all to herself.  All over Europe there'd be families living in one room - just think of parents having 10 bairns all sat around the wall trying to get a good night's sleep.  Then there's the country folk who had the cattle at the other end of the room

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 31 August 15 07:41 BST (UK) »
"Then there's the country folk who had the cattle at the other end of the room"

Free central heating.  8) 8) 8)

Regards

Malky

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 31 August 15 10:30 BST (UK) »
"Then there's the country folk who had the cattle at the other end of the room"

Free central heating.  8) 8) 8)
Regards
Malky

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 31 August 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
Garve might be Contin parish? but an easy walk from Brahan. I ended up in the Garve Hotel many years ago on the way back from fishing on the west coast. A birthday celebration was underway for the local grave-digger and there was a tame hen dancing on the bar accompanied a fiddler. The hen was on the sherry as I recall! ;D

Roderick was a popular Urray name and used by the Mackenzie's of Fairburn. The estate came into the hands of the Stirling family, a cousin of the Stirling's of SAS fame. The laird married the daughter of Mackenzie's of Gairloch who had Conon House. Fairburn is now a retirement home and the last I heard of The Tower was that it had been bought for restoration? The family get a mention in a book called "Isolation Shepherd", by Iain Thomson. Great read.

As for "Hole in the wa' beds", I was born very young in one myself!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 00:23 BST (UK) »
Very interesting Skoosh.

I once read somewhere that to weaken the loyalty of the Highland clans was that a law was introduced whereby the oldest son born to a high ranking clansman had to be sent away from home when he reached a certain age.

I've just found a stray Donald Mckenzie born in Clyde Iron Works, Lanarks but living in Kelso, Roxburghshire.  I need to check on his death certificate for parents, but there's no sign of him or his wife after 1861 and I'm wondering where they went.  As the American civil war started in 1861-1865, I doubt they went there.  I've spent ages today looking through passenger lists to see if they sailed to South Africa or *Australia - *as they're not digitized yet it's a long haul looking through online film lol.

1861 Census
Name:    Donald Mckenzie
Estimated Birth Year:    abt 1811
Relationship:    Head
Spouse's Name:    Elizabeth Mckenzie Age 43 (b abt 1819) born Kelso.
Where born:    Clyde Iron Works, Lanarkshire
Town:    Kelso
County:    Roxburghshire