Author Topic: Esther Hargroves born between 1850-1856 in Maryborough  (Read 7886 times)

Offline Cath Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Hargroves born between 1850-1856 in Maryborough
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 August 15 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gaffy  are Catherine and Michael Presbyterian? could you send me the link to look at the baptism record please?  I thought if one parent was a catholic then all the children were brought up as catholic?
 You have given me a link to the Dowling family from the census Christopher Dowling Esther's husband was born in Portarlington  I don't have his baptism record but maybe Mary Dowling and Christopher Dowling are related  :)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 August 15 04:55 BST (UK) »
Catherine's 1830 baptism, bottom of right hand page:

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634501#page/31/mode/1up

Also a Joseph baptised in 1832 with parents Richard Hardgroves and Anne McEvoy, bottom of right hand page:

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634501#page/50/mode/1up

Michael's 1867 marriage is 4th down, I have only just noticed that Michael's mother is cited as Annie McEvoy, same as for Catherine's baptism and Joseph's baptism in 1830.

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634416#page/8/mode/1up

Offline Cath Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 31 August 15 18:20 BST (UK) »
thanks for the help
I think I've found Michael Hargroves and Mary Hargroves (nee Dowling) in the 1901 census I want to find out if Mary is related to my Great Grandfather Christopher any help will be appreciated I don't have his baptism record in the census record his date of birth is 1852 on the marriage certificate  his father was a Michael.  In the census record it says Christopher was born in Portarlington. 
Both Esther and Christopher were married in Dublin and they give a Dublin address so I am assuming they were living in Dublin at least from 1885 the year of their marriage.  From the censuses and from what my mother has told me they were in the Usher Quays area of Dublin until the late 1930's.   :) ;)   

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 13:17 BST (UK) »
My burial records from St Peter & Pauls cemetery Portlaoise has the following records of Hargrove;

(542); Mary Hargroves; 68- RC- married-Borris Great; 6/9/1911 (b1853)

(737); Michael Hargroves; 76-RC-widower-Borris Great; 19/7/1916 (b.1840)
======================
www.genealogylaois.com
=========================
Jack

Offline Cath Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 July 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
UPDATE:
I have found birth records for children of Richard Hargroves and Anne McAvoy : Catherine 1830, Joseph 1832, Richard 1836 and Michael 1838 all in RC records
My great grand mother Esther's religion in the census was Church Presbyterian in 1901 and Church of Ireland 1911.  She married Christopher Dowling in 1885 in a registry office in Dublin and they lived in Ushers Quay Dublin.
I have also found a marriage record for John Hargroves  born about 1849 his father was Richard and his religion was Church of Ireland according to 1901 census three of his children are living  in Ushers Quay I'm thinking they could be related to Esther
There is another marriage record for Elizabeth Hargroves born about 1853 who married William Cox in Dublin in 1876 again her father is Richard and he is a steward.
I can find no Church of Ireland birth records for John, Elizabeth or Esther.  I read somewhere that all Church of Ireland records were destroyed in the war of independence is this true? can anyone help me find where I can find the records if they are available.
Sorry for long post Cat