Author Topic: Windows 10 1 Month on! Is it the right operating system for me?  (Read 8612 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 1 Month on! Is it the right operating system for me?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 September 15 16:00 BST (UK) »
One of the reasons why not to have Windows Update set to automatically install.  I've not been presented with the KB update for the white icon yet. ;D ;D  It looks like you only get the option to install it if you have Windows Update set to automatically install.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 September 15 18:15 BST (UK) »
I am getting updates, and every time they instal themselves, my PC crashes/freezes. I restart it again and it crashes again. I restart it for a second time, and it runs "OK". Good old Microsoft.

Regards

Malky

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 September 15 18:49 BST (UK) »
A quick heads up!
And for those who do not want windows 10, are quite happy with 7/8.
http://arstechnica.co.uk/information...eserve-a-copy/
We have all been warned now!  :o
 Brian

I haven't updated to 10 and feel quite happy with 8.1

Possibly being naive here as it would seem as though all of RC have changed to 10........ including you Brian  :)

Being thick here...... what is your link saying?  :)   
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 September 15 18:51 BST (UK) »
Malky: Same happens here, notice a download notification then bang everything stops.
[Using a laptop that should eat windows 10, I5 processor with 8Gb of memory]
Have to physically select install updates before I can use laptop normally.
Regarding my earlier post .
It was a warning about not being complacent regarding the windows 10 update.
[I updated as/when I decided to update, I don't want anyone to decide for me.]
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 September 15 19:11 BST (UK) »
I suspect that it would be safer for anyone who definitely doesn't want to upgrade at the moment, or possibly at all, to switch their Windows Update settings from "Install updates automatically" to either "Download updates but let me choose when to install" or "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".  Mine is set to the latter, just means you have to click a button to install but it would stop the upgrade patch from being installed automatically and then downloading the install which would appear to be, from the link that Calverley Lad posted, what is happening.

Hampshire Lass, I doubt you and I are the only RC'ers that haven't upgraded so I wouldn't worry.  Much better to let Microsoft iron out any of the continuing problems that have been reported before upgrading. ;D  Lets face it we've got until the end of July next year to upgrade for free anyway so there is no hurry.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 September 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
Are you saying that if we have our Windows 8.1 set to update automatically then we may find we've automatically updated to Windows 10?

Sorry if I'm being thick  :)

OH needed a new laptop last week and of course it's windows 10. I notice that they've set it to update automatically but the updates it's attempted so far have been unsuccessful.
Best wishes HL

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 September 15 19:28 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

We were offered the free upgrade to 10 but didn't take it initially. I had a look at the blurb online and it seemed OK so then took it. A few days later a message came saying it was ready to download. First mistake, we have 3 accounts, admin, OH and mine. It would only open mine, the others disappeared so had to get junior over to sort it.

If you have more than 1 account it will always open to the last user regardless of whether you signed out or not. OK if you know that and what to do about it.

It wiped out 5 of the shortcuts that were on the left of the old screen but don't remember what they were except Norton which has been taken off and as yet not put back. Have to contact them AGAIN to get it back.

A lot of the simple tasks have been moved around or altered and have yet to locate them.

Second mistake, not getting Junior to give it the order of the boot.

John915

PS. Ours is set to auto update but that appears to be for system updates on whatever you have not for updating to a new system. Which is why we were offered it first not just given it.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 11 September 15 19:38 BST (UK) »

PS. Ours is set to auto update but that appears to be for system updates on whatever you have not for updating to a new system. Which is why we were offered it first not just given it.

I thought that should be the case  :)

I feel reluctant to change something that's working ok, so shall hold out for now.

You certainly seem to have had problems John  :'(
Best wishes HL

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 11 September 15 19:56 BST (UK) »
john915: I you read one of my earlier posts on me updating to windows 10, you should see that my Norton 360 was completely uninstalled. I ended up using online assistance from Norton to reinstall to my satisfaction.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire