Author Topic: Windows 10 1 Month on! Is it the right operating system for me?  (Read 8607 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Windows 10 1 Month on! Is it the right operating system for me?
« on: Friday 28 August 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
So most of us have had Windows 10 on our machines for 1 month.
Do you find that things are working out to your satisfaction?
My 2 identical I5 laptops boot up/shut down very quickly, but applications are running slower than when I had Windows 7.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 1 Month on! Is it the right browser for me?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 August 15 21:18 BST (UK) »
I do like the faster boot-up time than windows 7. I have disabled or turned off most of the windows 10 'features' as I have no need for them, preferring the open source alternatives in most cases. In fact I am hardly aware that I'm using 10. I guess I'm not really the target audience MS were thinking of when they tried to beat Android at their  own game. I just don't like someone else trying to organise my computing life. And with our sluggish 1Mb broadband the 'always online' cloud-based stuff just takes forever to do anything. Even so, I do like the automatic synchronisation of the OneDrive folders which happens in the background while I'm doing other things, instead of patiently waiting while files upload via the browser.

I haven't noticed any programs running more slowly under 10, but Firefox and Thunderbird seemed to have a few problems for a while. After several recent updates they appear to be working fine now.

Everything worked with 10 except my ancient Kodak scanner which wouldn't work under 7 either, but I purchased VueScan which has solved that problem.

All in all I'm quite happy with Windows 10 on my PC. I opted out on the laptop which I had only recently upgraded to 7, thinking I would have a fallback postion if all went belly up with 10. So far I haven't needed it.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 1 Month on! Is it the right operating system for me?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 August 15 23:44 BST (UK) »
Just switched my new Laptop (HP Pavilion 360 Convertible) from 8.1 to 10.

Generally - with windows 8 it seems like I had a leg in both camps - the old desktop paradigm and the new - swipe friendly UI. It was irritating (not annoying) to switch back and forth.

Now with W10 it kind of feels like I finally have both. Not suggesting that you should update, only that although it is a paradigm shift it is a fairly simple one to deal with.

Note, however, this laptop has a 64 bit Core i5 and 128Gb flash drive and 8Gb RAM. I cannot speak for some of the older systems that I suspect many of you have.
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 August 15 08:13 BST (UK) »
My FTM 2011 won't open. A message comes up that I need to go to "tools" and "compact" the file (?) OK where are the tools and why do I need to compact the file?
Help!!!
Apart from that I still prefer IE over Edge...still have it available on my pc.
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
I have several computers, 3 on Windows 7  x 64 bit, 1 on XP and only one will run Windows 10. Everytime I get updates, the computer crashes, the screen message states that information about the crash is being sent, and once 100% of the information is received by Microsoft the computer will restart on it's own. Up untill now, it stays with a frozen screen, and I have to manualy restart it myself. I have come to the conclusion that the "Free" download is cheaper than to get analysts to sort out the problems, let the public suffer the headaches of the problems, and as each one is found, then Microsoft tries to fix it, not allways sucessfully.
Still not impressed with it.

Regards

Malky

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 August 15 21:24 BST (UK) »
Having finally decided to download Windows10, I find it won't ! The icon at the bottom of the screen doesn't work - "Get Windows 10" appears briefly in a box and then fades. I tried to download from the MS site but nothing happens in the downloading screen - it just keeps whirring and 0% progress stays on the screen. What am I doing wrong?

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 August 15 21:55 BST (UK) »
One thing I forgot to mention is that I have had a few occasions when Windows 10 has failed to wake from sleep mode and needed a reset, but I did get this with Win7 from time to time. I never got to the bottom of it then so I doubt I will now. I suppose it could be a motherboard BIOS gremlin :-\

Steve,

You may find it will eventually get there if you leave it for a few days. My partner's laptop took a long time, aparently doing nothing.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 August 15 00:55 BST (UK) »
I thought I'd posted on here but the post doesn't show up.

My husband and I both upgraded to Windows 10, me from 8.1 and husband from 7 and neither of us has had any problems at all.  I deleted lots of apps I didn't want/need, I suggested my husband did the same but I don't know if he has.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 August 15 07:23 BST (UK) »
Another update this morning, another "Blue screen error, Service Exception Error" Three times a week now.

It's ludicrous.

Windows 10 needs to be renamed.

Regards

Malky