Author Topic: Link: St Edward's College, Liverpool - School Magazines 1930's  (Read 4131 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Link: St Edward's College, Liverpool - School Magazines 1930's
« on: Saturday 29 August 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
Can't see this mentioned previously but its an amazing resource if any of your ancestors or even present RootsChatters went to St Edward's - I was really pleased to find my Pa in Law mentioned when he attained his School Cert in 1939, there is also an account of the evacuation of 200 boys (including Pa in law) in 1939. Looking a 'lot' later I found my husband mentioned too :-)

Ranges from the 19th Century up to quite recently. There are some gaps but there is a huge amount on here. The website owner has put in a tremendous amount of work and I, for one, am extremely grateful :-)

http://ci-edwardians.co.uk/index.html

Boo

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Edward's College, Liverpool - School Magazines
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 September 15 06:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo - I have 5 friends who were there 1950's / early 60's and have informed them - can I ask you a question please ? this is a message I received off an old friend -

Allan, where about was it ,I was in Saint Edwards orphanage,1943 did it change its name ?..

would you be able to ask if part of this building became an orphanage during the war ??...maybe for boys whose fathers were killed in WW2 ??....
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 September 15 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
Short answer is I have no idea.
Longer one is that I did a web search and came up with this
http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/LiverpoolStEdward/

That says the orphanage was in Thingwall Road, Broadgreen, from 1903 and was run by the Brothers of Charity.

The College was, as far as I can tell, originally in St Domingo Rd, Everton and then in Sandfield park, West Derby and was run by the Christian Brothers.

I don't have enough knowledge to know if the Christian Brothers and the Brothers of Charity were two different orders, but I suspect they were.

If you or your friend have further questions perhaps posting on the main Lancs board could produce more info than I have. Not too sure this (resources) is the right board  to discuss it but have no idea how to move the topic :-)

Boo

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 September 15 11:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo - St Edwards College and St Edwards Orphanage look to be connected - the Orphanage in Sandfield Park - is where the College is - so same location ...I will contact my friend ...cheers and thanks again . :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford