Author Topic: Templeton family of Whitehaven and Ireland  (Read 3384 times)

Offline JennyLeM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Templeton family of Whitehaven and Ireland
« on: Saturday 29 August 15 19:40 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 Census for Whitehaven I found 3 Templeton brothers, I think, James, born 1802 in Ireland, a stone cutter, who married Jane Greenlow from Scotland (my ancestors);  John, born 1806 in Ireland, a coal miner, married Catherine, and Thomas, born 1811 in Ireland, a labourer, married to Jane Lawson. Also living with Thomas and family was Catherine, aged 79, born in Ireland who I think must have been their mother. I am looking for their father, and other other siblings. Maybe they came from Down in Ireland where there were Templetons. Any suggestions please?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Templeton family of Whitehaven and Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Have you found any of them in 1851 where a more exact place of birth may be given?

You've posted this in the wrong place, as this is the How to Use Rootschat board and so people won't look here for requests. I'll ask a Mod to move it to where it will be seen.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JennyLeM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 August 15 01:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks,I'll try that.
Egg on face for posting in the wrong place!

Offline JennyLeM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Templeton family of Whitehaven and Ireland
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 August 15 02:02 BST (UK) »
Looking for Catherine Templeton, born about 1762 in Ireland, moved to Cumberland

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 15 08:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks,I'll try that.
Egg on face for posting in the wrong place!

Don't worry about that, it can easily be moved. It does take a bit of time to find your way around Rootschat, but it is a great site with lots of knowleable people so hopefully someone will be able to find them for you.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 15 08:44 BST (UK) »
Another topic started here:

2 topics merged by Moderator

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 August 15 09:04 BST (UK) »
Some sources anyway
The National Library of Ireland has a Consolidated Index To the Records of the
Genealogical Office Dublin, Ireland Compiled by Virginia Wade McAnlis
TEMPLETOWN/ TEMPLETON
...GO MS 125 Heraldic Sketches p.290
...GO MS 223-54 Betham Will Abstracts 6/250, 13/244, 16/301 or 361, 26/67
Baron (Upton)
...GO MS 186 Lords Entries Vol. IV, p.18
...GO MS 184 Lords Entries Vol. II, p.54
....GO MS 187 Lords Entries Vol. V, p.116

The public record office for Northern Ireland has 106 entries for Templeton under their name index. a further 303 entries in their e-catalogue which includes at least one Catherine templeton

North of Ireland Family History Society has had a genealogical index which is not availanle this am.

1660 locations in the Ulster hearth Money rolls
8623   1158   Antrim   Dunluce Upper   Ballymoney   Culdoo   1 Qr of Coldone   Mathew   Templeton   Templeton
9225   1760   Antrim   Dunluce Lower   Derrykeighan   Ballynarry Upper   Unnamed   William   Templetone   Templeton
9341   1876   Antrim   Dunluce Lower   Derrykeighan   Bellisle   2 Qrs of Inchgrane   Adam   Templeton   Templeton
15827   2220   Antrim   Belfast Lower   Islandmagee   Balloo   Ballon   Arch   Templeton   Templeton
15887   2280   Antrim   Belfast Lower   Islandmagee   Ballyprior More   Ballyprearmore   Thomas   Templeton   Templeton
15911   2304   Antrim   Belfast Lower   Islandmagee   Ballytober   Ballytobber   John   Templeton   Templeton
16526   137   Antrim   Massereene Upper   Blaris   Lisburn Parish & Town   Lisbourne Parish & Town   Jo   Templeton   Templeton
17311   923   Antrim   Massereene Upper   Glenavy   Glenavy   Glenavey Towne   Wm   Templeton   Templeton

Templeton in Co Down see  over 60 entries in http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/T/TaTe.htm#te

Leaving out the six counties of Northern Ireland  the Templeton around 1830 were living principally in Donegal and Monaghan, with a couple in Queens County and one in Galway. see http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie

As there are titled Templeton both Lord and viscount etc , some trees will be available in Burkes Peerage and also Burkes Landed Gentry of Ireland
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline hty7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 18:58 GMT (UK) »
This seems to be the Templeton family I am researching , my great Grandmother was Margaret Temple/Templeton born 1838 in Whitehaven , her father was John Temple Coal miner on her marriage cert.note the surname....On the certificate of my grandmother the name was Templeton. It was probably the accent but the name Temple is on some of the census returns also . I don't have any earlier information though .

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 January 20 10:07 GMT (UK) »
to follow just the Temple spelling only in Ireland
1823-1837 Tithes Applotment Book based upon the work of the Irish Genealogy Hub   
The relevant original books are in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast
Temple, Davd.-Townland: Lisbunny Year: 1828-Cumber Upper-Derry
Temple, Davd.-Townland: Lisbunny Year: 1828-Cumber Upper-Tyrone and Armagh
Temple, Robert-- Townland: Lisbano Year: 1832-Lisnadill-Armagh
Temple, Wm.-Townland : Carnduff Year: 1833-Inver-Antrim

Co Down from where many people were encouraged to go to the Whitehaven mines owned by the Londonderry titled family who were major landowners in Co down see http://www.rosdavies.com/
Mrs.   .   TEMPLE   see .   Bangor   of Elsinore Terrace, Southwell , Bangor in 1901   POD
Robert    TEMPLE   .   Magheradrool   received financial assistance of 1 shilling from Ballynahinch Presbyterian Church 11 Apr 1714   BPCR
there were no Temple in Co Down in griffiths valuation see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ however the name is represented all over Ireland in this record including other counties in the north.

there will be other records so if you are keen to explore more, lets hope others will join in
good luck
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide