Author Topic: Seekay Searching  (Read 2086 times)

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seekay Searching
« on: Monday 31 August 15 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
My name is Kim and I have been trying to find my Great Grandmothers daughter, Pearlie Isabella Seekay, who was born 17 July 1901 in Moama NSW.   Her mothers name was Emily Jane Seekay.  There is no father recorded and apart from the birth certificate, there is no other record of her.  My Great Grandmother came to Western Australia, childless around or after 1911.  She changed her name to Emily Jane Casey (officially or unofficially) her siblings also changed their names.  Emily had a son who died at birth in 1907 to a Mr Thomas Dodkins. The Seekay children  were part Chinese.
Thank you in advance
Terrell, Mitchell, Morris and Wagstaff

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Seekay Searching
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 August 15 12:44 BST (UK) »
Is this your Emily?
WA Marriage:
1913 SEEKAY, Emily J. and TERRELL, RICHARD H. ; Boulder; Reg No: 8   
1941 TERRELL, Emily J. and SHILLINGLOW, William C. ; Boulder; Reg No: 37

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 15 13:01 BST (UK) »

Kalgoorlie Miner 22 Sep 1930
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/95223492?
funeral notice Henry Charles CASEY..........Mr and Mrs Richard TERRELL.....Moama

several names mentioned.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 15 13:44 BST (UK) »
Funeral notices for Richard Terrell In 1933 - mentions mrs e Terrell and mrs Casey
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article94867214

Regards
Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 15 15:46 BST (UK) »
Alice also married as SEEKAY to William RUSSELL in Victoria in 1903.

My Great Grandmother came to Western Australia, childless......

How do you know she didn't have the child with her then?  Is Pearlie mentioned on Thomas' birth certificate?

Electoral rolls show Emily Jane SEEKAY as a Cook at Echuca from 1903 till 1909, prior to that she would not have been of age to enrol.

Whether her daughter was adopted outside or inside the family it is likely that her name was changed.  Have you searched for marriages using the surnames in Emily's mother's family?

Debra  :)

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 August 15 23:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who has left messages, all the above information I have found. 
Emily's mother deserted them in 1888, their father, Peter Seekay died in 1895, their mother never came back for them.  There was no other children mentioned on Thomas Dodkin Seekays birth certificate or death certificate. 
Alice Seekay (Russell) also used Casey, she was also married as a Challenger.

There was never a child with Emily in Western Australia, she married my Great Grandfather soon after arriving.  My Grandfather never knew about his older siblings and it was quite a shock when I found them, it was also a shock to the family, that her father was Chinese.

I have been down the adoption line, I have even researched the doctor and midwife and friends of the seekay family who may have "Had" a child around July 1901.

Thanks again for all your help
Terrell, Mitchell, Morris and Wagstaff

Offline unknown2001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Kishtu, I'm new here so I'm unsure how to contact you, but we are related-- distantly. I'm looking for information about Jessie TERRELL, daughter of Emily Jane SEEKAY and Richard H. TERRELL.
apologies and many thanks

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat,
Kishtu should receive notification of activity on this post and will hopefully respond shortly. In the meantime here is some information regarding contacting members privately.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM (Personal Message) facility. Attachments are not allowed on PMs. http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Once you have made three posts, you can send a PM (Personal Message). Just click on the circle (left hand side under the persons avatar/name, symbol looks like a letter/page). This will allow you to send a PM and exchange email or other information privately. Members will automatically be notified that they have received a PM.
To read a PM just click on “My Messages” (located on the brown strip, just below the Rootschat header/banner)
When a rootschatter is online the letter/page symbol lights up green but they do not need to be online for you to send them a PM.

Cheers
 :)
CoL

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Wagga Wagga Advertiser 4April1908 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/145104961
IN THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW SOUTH WALES.
PROBATE JURISDICTION.
In the Will of GEORGE BURGESS, late of Albury Road, near Wagga Wagga, in the State of New South Wales, Wood Carter, deceased.
APPLICATION will be made after fourteen days from the publication hereof, that Probate of the last ;
Will of the abovenamed deceased may be granted to ELIZA SEE KAY (in the said Will called ELIZA BURGESS), the Executrix named in the Will....

Probate Packet https://search.records.nsw.gov.au/permalink/f/1ebnd1l/ADLIB_RNSW115560503
ITEM
NRS-13660-6-125-Series 4_42988 | George Burgess - Date of Death 12/03/1908, Place of residence Wagga Wagga NSW

Probate Packets often contain valuable information, death certificates etc.
You can post a request for Rootschatter Ros to kindly copy the above records the next time she is at the Archives https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=703011.0