Author Topic: LE COIC (Jersey)  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Jamesk10

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
LE COIC (Jersey)
« on: Tuesday 01 September 15 11:35 BST (UK) »
I have started researching the LE COIC part of my family tree.

I know little unfortunately. They were in Jersey for a time, but I haven't had much success finding out dates/info by searching records online. Can someone advise on searching Jersey records which I believe are a separate resource.

George E Le Coic married in 1953 in Harrow, Middlesex, England to Margaret E Keen. They had a son, Christopher, born 1956 in Willesden, Middlesex, England. The family moved to Jersey (date?), then following divorce (date?) Margaret with Chris moved to Australia (date?). Margaret remarried to Anthony Knowlton (date? where?) who died a few years ago. Margaret and Chris both died recently.

I do not know anything about George, apart from marriage to Margaret and son Chris. I would guess George was born about 1930 in Jersey and remained there until his death a few years ago.

I know nothing about the Le Coic family/ancestry in general.

Hopefully you will be able to assist with finding out some dates/info about the family.
Keen, Prinz, Printz, Melhuish, King, Croxford, Bedding,

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LE COIC (Jersey)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 13:55 BST (UK) »
Everyone who was living in Jersey during WW2 was required to have a registration card by the Germans. George was too young at the time (dob 30/5/1931) to have one in his own right but he is named on his father's card. All of these cards have been scanned and are available on the subscription part of the Jersey Archive site, most contain a small black and white photograph and can be downloaded for personal use at £5 per download or £30 for an annual subscription.
The following cards are on the site

Casimir Isaac Yves Le Coic born 5/5/1897 Serval, Cotes du Nord, France - George's father
Alice Florence le Coic née Urvoy born 3/4/1902 Trinity, Jersey - George's mother
Marie Therese Urvoy born 16/10/1866 Ploeuc, France (no photo) - George's maternal grandmother

In addition all 3 have Aliens cards from 1921, again with photographs.

The Cotes du Nord (Cotes d'Armor) records are on-line at www.archives.cotesdarmor.fr they are a free resource and you only need basic French to understand them

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 14:05 BST (UK) »
George appears to have died in 2009, possibly in the US (or at least at some point lived there, that he had a SSN):
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JTVM-8X3

Margaret remarried a Knowlton and passed away recently:
http://www.myfamilyannouncements.co.uk/jerseyeveningpost/view/3873375/knowlton-margaret

(and their son is also deceased)

In future, if posting about such recent events, please confirm if the persons are deceased or not, and do not put up information on those still living, or those who might be living but you're not sure about.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamesk10

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks so far for the advice and info on the Le Coic family.

Jorose, I have amended my initial post to mention that I did already know all persons have died.

I am now looking through the records on the Jersey Archive website (http://catalogue.jerseyheritage.org/collection/Search/archive/coic/) for Le Coic and Urvoy - quite a treasure trove!  :)

Offline jameslecoic

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My names James Le Coic, son of Chris. I’ve been trying to get some more info on my family tree. I was wondering if you managed to get any further as you seemed to get a good bit of info on here? I’m not having much luck anywhere. Cheers, James

Offline Jamesk10

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 March 19 19:25 GMT (UK) »
James,

No, I haven't got much further with researching this family line, other things took priority and to be honest I had forgotten about this post from a while ago until your comment now. I will update on here anything if I do find time to research this line, the other users have posted some good links which I took a quick look at, so I think progress can be made with some effort. I will send you a direct message now though as we are distant related so we can keep in contact.