Author Topic: South Australia to Mayo Ireland  (Read 4269 times)

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South Australia to Mayo Ireland
« on: Wednesday 02 September 15 05:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
Could some kind person advise me of how i would find a widowed Irish mother leaving South Australia and returning to her home in Mayo Ireland [Castle Bar]
Her third husband had passed away 5/10/1856 Kapunda South Australia and by 7/6/1857 she was married in Mayo Ireland to her fourth husband.
Then I found her fourth husband had died and she went to Brooklyn New York and was living with her brother and sister in-law.
Appreciate any help or advise

Colin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia to Mayo Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 08:59 BST (UK) »
I'm not aware of any U.K. incoming passenger lists for that period but you may have more luck finding a record of her leaving Australia.

It should, in theory, be possible to find her arrival in America in New York manifests, however, pre-1900 lists often give little details and all that may be records will be name, age, occupation and country of origin. Ellis Island opened 1892 (see www.ellisisland.org) but for earlier dates go to www.castlegarden.org.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 11:54 BST (UK) »
What was her name(s)?

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 15 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
I would like to thank you all for your advise and appreciate your time.
My main objective was to try and find Bridget Whelan nee Joyce nee Fitzmaurice nee Brennan leaving South Australia to Mayo Ireland between 1856-1857 but as suggested possibly should try finding a ship leaving South Australia as I now know I should have done that in the first place instead of doing it back to front.

Thank you once again

Colin

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 15 05:40 BST (UK) »
Ships departing South Australia ..... probably departures would be noted in the newspapers .... The National Library of Australia has a website, and within that, they have a very famous ongoing project that includes digitising the newspapers, including from 19th century....

It is an absolutely fantastic treasure Trove ....

Here's the link the the free to search Trove :

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/search?adv=y

where you can restrict your searches to various years, and/or various states/colonies, and or many other restrictions (eg the topic 'family notices' .... or keywords eg shipping departures with the dates as 1856, 1857 and the newspapers being ALL for South Australia)

Fingers crossed

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 September 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
what was her maiden name, and I take it Brennan was her last name?  And she left Australia under the name Fitzmaurice?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 September 15 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
Could some kind person advise me of how i would find a widowed Irish mother leaving South Australia and returning to her home in Mayo Ireland [Castle Bar]
Her third husband had passed away 5/10/1856 Kapunda South Australia and by 7/6/1857 she was married in Mayo Ireland to her fourth husband.
Then I found her fourth husband had died and she went to Brooklyn New York and was living with her brother and sister in-law.

and

Bridget Whelan nee Joyce nee Fitzmaurice nee Brennan leaving South Australia to Mayo Ireland between 1856-1857 ...

and

what was her maiden name, and I take it Brennan was her last name?  And she left Australia under the name Fitzmaurice?

I am not so sure.    I can see a South Australian marriage for 1852, in the Adelaide district  indexed as John WHELAN and Bridget JOYCE #12/405

https://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 September 15 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Rathmore
Bridget's maiden name was Brennan and she would have left South Australia under the name of Bridget Whelan but she could have used the names Brennan,Joyce or even Fitzmaurice .
John Whelan her 3rd husband died in 1856 in South Australia and by 1857 she was in Mayo Ireland.

I have now found the 1865 Census for Kings Brooklyn N/Y where she is with her brother but as a boarder so I am narrowing down when she arrived there

Colin

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 September 15 01:47 BST (UK) »
I can see a death in 1856, but there's a spelling variation in the surname, so perhaps this can help with searching the Australian newspapers for departures.

Are you sure this is for Bridget's husband? I notice the index has 'undefined' where I would expect the name of the relative ....

https://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html

1856   6/49   
WHEALAN   John
undefined   
Kapunda

Cheers,  JM