Author Topic: You know when people say "Nice by name, Nice by nature" does anyone say the o  (Read 8397 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
You know when people say "Nice by name, Nice by nature" does anyone say the o
« on: Wednesday 02 September 15 21:05 BST (UK) »
Are there any names  were the Opposite is true?

e.g.    Nice by name,  NASTY by nature.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: You know when people say "Nice by name, Nice by nature" does anyone say the o
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 21:40 BST (UK) »
I recall when I was 1st tracing my maternal line with help from my aunt as my mother had passed away when I was 23 (long before I started research).

My aunt told me one of their aunts was named Maggie & her husband was named Crook(s).............
"Crook by name, Crook by nature"................

I still to this day have never asked nor been told why the saying but what I did find was although known as Maggie & on 1901 as Maggie, her actual name was Lilian  ???

I'm just glad that the name "Crook(s)" was unusual as it did me a favour the fact that my aunt remembered the surname or I would never have found the marriage  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: You know when people say "Nice by name, Nice by nature" does anyone say the o
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 22:16 BST (UK) »
Not quite the same but the first person I encountered with a certain Christian name was such a horrid spiteful character that even many many years later if I am introduced to someone of that name I instinctively dislike them and often my first instinct is borne out by their unpleasant behaviour.Every time I tell myself to keep an open mind and never do or say anything unpleasant
and I admit I can be proved wrong but all too often they live up to my expectations and behave like  the first person I knew .I don`t retaliate -ever- but it reinforces my thorough dislike of that name and suspicion of anyone called that.
Not saying what it is because I will surely upset some nice people.
Gosh that has stirred  sad memories, things which made my childhood very unhappy at times.
She must have been unhappy herself to behave as she did, one of these days I may begin to feel sorry for her : ::):)Viktoria.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 15 15:20 BST (UK) »
Had a similar experience to yours, Victoria.
Two forenames which are a bit like mine, I've had people with those names that I have disliked intensely, for varying reasons.
Each time I meet someone new with those names, I tell myself 'don't prejudge' but it's hard, isn't it?
What does it say about us ??? ??? ??

Dawn M
PS I do have one friend who has one of these names and I often think 'what a pity she got that name given her!'   :P  :P  :P
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 15 15:32 BST (UK) »
That is very strange because I do the same thing but I've never really thought about it before.

Two very different people, one male, one female, different reasons for hating disliking them.  Even my most hated record has the female name but I haven't put 2 and 2 together before.

Rishile

Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 September 15 16:38 BST (UK) »
On  different note...Some years ago I knew an Eileen Dover and a Pearl White...and I went to school with a girl called Theresa Green....I still can't say those names without having a giggle to myself. The funniest of all is rather rude and I can't name it as I think it would be censored  :o ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 September 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
Not quite the question but.........

When I took my older son to school for his first day, I met someone who asked me his name.  Instantly she replied,  "Ooooo I don't like that name; always makes me think of runny noses!!"   :o

Somewhat surprised I asked the names of her children, and guess what?  Her son has the same name!!

Strangely, we are  STILL friends. 
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 18:07 BST (UK) »
I met a "Crabbie" who was exactly that.
- Carol / Treetotal: I did know a "Pearl Button" who had a sister, "Ruby Button". As they were both very upright elderly ladies, and I was very young, Miss Button and Miss Ruby always amused me.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
There are a few"Smellies"in my hometown,  but they are not!!!
But the worst Smellie I couldn't  poss mention for fear of a ban!!  Her name was Frances!!! It's up to you now,  think of nickname!!!  But in days gone by that name had no sexual connotations!!! Quite an innocent name. There are lots in my family :o :o :o
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820