Author Topic: Peter Hampson 1861 and anything else please  (Read 7003 times)

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Hampson 1861 and anything else please
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 September 15 03:38 BST (UK) »
Would be good if it was as I am getting no where with brothers John and James. Will have to have a closer look at James births  Yes very much looks like  Nanney/Ann/Annie and Thomas married Wilson siblings.

Offline juliemanchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 March 16 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello. Thanks very much Ambley for your super info about Peter hampson. I have been looking for his whereabouts too, as Margaret Hampson was my G grandma. Margaret emigrated to Canada in 1926 but my grandma stayed in the uk. I  haven't digested the info about Margaret hampson was was prior to 1861  Will have another read when fresher. I believe Peter must have been married twice, once to margaret's mother , then to Elizabeth Kyle nee Drewery.
It was passed on through the family that our ancestor was Elizabeth ann Drury... I think she's not.
Also that MH's husband was a minister in Liverpool ...can't be true. he was a fisherman.
Thanks again. INteresting! JulieManchester. 

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 March 16 01:55 GMT (UK) »
In my tree there are 2 generations of Margaret Hampsons. Margaret Spencer married to William. William was a cooper and they were lay street preachers. This was the couple who lost 11 out of their 12 children. William parents were farmers, John and Margaret née Rimmer.  William is buried in Toxteth Park and Margaret in what is now Greater Los Angeles. I have multiple cross references to these people.

Offline juliemanchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 26 March 16 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks! That is the minister then. Probably. OPC?  ..presbyterian church?

Offline juliemanchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 26 March 16 08:55 GMT (UK) »
(Reply to my own question) OPC ..online parish clerk? Kiwihugh, do you know what religion your ancestors preached? A snippett passed down via margaret hampson , peter's son, re the minister/ church- the liverpool irish were not fans of the religion and threw stones . Cheers, juliemanchester

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 March 16 02:03 BST (UK) »
Seeing as how their preaching was largely mixed with a Temperance message, it does not surprise me to hear the Irish threw stones  ;D Google "Who is Mrs Hampson?" Papers Past NZ. From Ambly's work I took it that John and Margaret Kyle/Hampson were Peters children which would make us 4th cousins and if not, 4th step cousins

Offline juliemanchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 March 16 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hello family! Past papers is excellent for finding more snippets . Sounds like the baptist church. I had thought  salvation army . The church could till be there..?
I hope to have a trip to see hesketh ( though there's not much of interest apart from the family connection) and any other places where the family lived I have been to whitehaven and st bees. Not been to abram and not sure if my margaret was there . Apart from the hampsons , they lived in whitehaven and frizington area.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 April 16 09:31 BST (UK) »
Lay street preachers almost certainly means one of the Methodist Churches.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)