Author Topic: Tankerville Eustace Kendall  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Tankerville Eustace Kendall
« on: Thursday 03 September 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
 T E Kendall b. 1891 (known as Tank to his workmates in the drawing office at Rushton & Hornsby works in Grantham) was my great-uncle who died in 1981.  He was a true Granthamian, having lived his whole life in the town, and was blessed with a remarkable memory.   He could quote events, especially relating to his family and my grandfather, and their brothers as if they had happened yesterday, giving exact days, months and years.   How did he come by such an august name at his baptism in Grantham.   The family story handed down is that (we don't know how)
Tank's father, William Vincent Kendall, was befriended by Tankerville Chamberlayne, President of the Royal Yacht Club, MP for Southampton, and had a family estate Cranbury Park near Southampton which he inherited in 1876.  According to Tank, a Christmas hamper would arrive in Grantham from Fortnum & Mason every year and Tank posted many letters to the said T.Chamberlayne from
WV Kendall.  Amongst family collection of photos was one of Cranbury Park and others which indicated the Grand Tour.   W.V. was educated at a minor public school at Framlingham,but the date of his leaving is not recorded c. 1870s, as he married in 1877.  Tankerville Chamberlayne 1894-1924.   WV Kendall 1855 - 1918. ( died in Grantham not as result of WW1)
Anyone interested in this Grantham family please send me a message in Rootschat.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tankerville Eustace Kendall
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 September 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
Tankerville Chamberlain left a vast fortune, Probate to his widow.
Have you got a copy of the Will? Might be interesting reading, who knows he may have left a bequest to his namesake, son of his old friend?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 September 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion though I would have known had that been the case. My gt uncle lived in rented property and though he left me a little from his savings, there was no large amount.   I knew about the Chamberlayne will, but have not seen a copy.  As you say it could make interesting reading.
I did find an interesting link in a NT property in Devon, once the home of Sir Francis Chichester when I spotted a picture or photograph of  I think the wife of Chamberlayne or sister maybe.
It is long ago now so I have forgotten.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Leics. Vincent

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
I wasnt thinking of a fortune, just a token legacy of a few pounds or an item of some sort!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 September 15 08:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, of course but the fortune was with the Chamberlaynes, none of it reached my great-uncle. Also Tank's father WV lies in an unmarked grave in Grantham cemetery.  Had there been money there I am sure there would have been a substantial memorial.   WVK left what he had to his widow - no money there, there were five sons surviving, one of which was my grandfather.
But thank you for your comments.   I think we shall never unravel the relationship/friendship of the two men of such disparate stations in life.   The only possible clue is that WVK was educated at Framlingham School (a minor public school) and was a boy chorister at Norwich cathedral. Perhaps money from the Chamberlaynes paid the fees, but if so I guess it would be 'under wraps'!  I wrote to the school and confirmed that he was admitted there 1869, though no record remained of his leaving.   He married in 1877 in Sleaford.
Leics. Vincent