Author Topic: World's biggest family tree?  (Read 9929 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: World's biggest family tree?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Aulus. I'm in Canada and not familiar with Rumpole but I did Google the acronym after I posted, so I know what it means now.

:D

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Online pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 12:16 BST (UK) »
I have never sat and counted people in my tree but I have them on ancestry automatically counts how many people I have on the trees I have stored there. 

I record all my direct ancestors, I then record the siblings of each generation, who they married if applicable then eventually will research these lines forward.  I tend to switch between trees I'm researching to keep my thinking fresh.  I've been doing mine for 15 years and very lucky to have such a high proportion of Scottish ancestors as I can get a lot of easy to cross reference info cost effectively at NRH or SP Centres now.  Hubby's tree is very much in it's infancy and has 54 people but tbh I see potential for there to be 20K people in it one day although that may be the person who takes over from me who reaches that point.  The 54 I have are just my MIL's father's side so far.  My MIL has 17 siblings her dad had at least 6.  If this pattern continues there will be 100s/1000s more.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 May 21 13:12 BST (UK) »
"Size isn't everything"!
But I think it must be ...
Today I found a tree on anc* with 70,712 people  :o

https://www.ancestry.com.au/connect/Profile/00cecb74-0001-0000-0000-000000000000

That tree has grown somewhat to 104,384 but it doesn't beat the one I've just come across with 161,380 People

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qm0/

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 May 21 14:09 BST (UK) »
Shortly after Ancestry went live there was a retired U.S. Colonel with close too 200,00 names.  He died a notice was posted to his "tree" and a couple of years later the tree disappeared.  He was my introduction to a name collector.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 May 21 14:51 BST (UK) »
How many times have you heard people say "I've got back to "William The Conqueror"  ::) I wonder where the evidence comes from, someone else's tree!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 May 21 15:17 BST (UK) »
That's what they do on WDYTYA, just the tree's from the National Archives
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 10 May 21 17:59 BST (UK) »
That's what they do on WDYTYA, just the tree's from the National Archives

Wow, I didn't know that. I thought it would be more thorough!

My main tree currently stands at 3445 people according to the Tree Overview on Ancestry, however that is including my husband's family as well as mine, so it's sort of two trees in a way.

It's grown in recent years because I find that tracing siblings of your main antecedents can really give you an interesting insight into what was happening to the family. Inevitably that means adding the siblings' spouses, and their children, so before you know it that's a lot of people.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 10 May 21 19:58 BST (UK) »
The link I posted with 161,380 people (http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qm0/)

If you click on the actual tree, it's evident this is only the paternal line!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 10 May 21 20:28 BST (UK) »
161,380 .... wow ....  does that indicate that they now know how to copy and paste .... BUT what if their first attempt at copy paste was for the 'Wrong' set of grandparents .....  ;D  ;D  ;D .... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.