Author Topic: William Etches  (Read 5107 times)

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Etches
« on: Friday 04 September 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
On a recent visit to St. Oswald's church, Ashbourne I came across the grave of  William Etches, wine merchant, who died on the 9th June 1795, aged 73, and I am wondering whether he was the father of Richard Cadman Etches, the fur trader and later government agent. Can anyone help me please?
Etches, Plant, Nunn

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William Etches
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 September 15 15:11 BST (UK) »
When and where was Richard Cadman Etches born. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 September 15 15:37 BST (UK) »
I am not exactly sure about his birthplace but he may well have been born around 1765 possibly in Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire, although as far as I know his father, William, was a wine trader whose cellars were in the market place in Ashbourne and he had lived there for many years. I believe William's first wife and Richard's mother was Elizabeth Cadman, born around 1720.

There is another grave in St. Oswald's in memory of Ellen Etches, "wife of William Etches", who died on the 24th January 1850, aged 79 years. I winder whether she was William's second wife.

I do know that Richard died on the 2nd June 1817 in Fleet Prison. His age is given as 52 and he was buried at St. Bride's church.

Etches, Plant, Nunn

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 September 15 11:50 BST (UK) »
Just to put the cat among the pigeons...RICHARD CADMAN ETCHES baptised 26.06.1796 at St Andrew Hol;born London..son of William and Mary................would be very strange id there were two Richard Cadman Etches............and the fact that william "might" have died 1795.does not rule out the possibility entirely...and yet the history of Richard Cadman Etches is so well documented along the lines you state..born in Shipston on Soar etc......that it is probably a massive co-incidence..

Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 September 15 12:22 BST (UK) »
Just putting the link to your post on Richard to save duplication on him
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=613754.0

I have not read it through (though I note I did reply on it but it was in 2012  ;D )

Where do you get Richards parents as William & Mary from or are you just assuming that the Etches/Cadman marriage has got to be them

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 September 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
The Richard Cadman baptism is a Parish records entry. a confirmed entry on Family Search..giving parents as William and Mary..and has nothing to do with the marriage of William Etches to Elizabeth Cadman..would be interesting to chase up the origins of these two parents of Richard Cadman Etches 1796.....which I think I'll do just for the crack!!
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 September 15 13:12 BST (UK) »
The Richard Cadman baptism is a Parish records entry. a confirmed entry on Family Search..giving parents as William and Mary..and has nothing to do wit

Is an image available online

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 September 15 13:42 BST (UK) »
If you have access to Family Search you will find the Baptism at St Andrew Holborn..Just enter Richard Cadman Etches..............then, as a back up....look for the marriage of William and Mary..which I can't find, but if you enter William Etches and a spouse Mary..you will find under William Etches (father)..a repea tof the same baptism.....

I am beginning to be intrigued, because Richard Cadman Etches appears in a London tax record as Richard Cadman Etches late COLSON!!..now what does that mean??

The alleged baptism of RCE at Shipston on Stour in 1744 does not stand up to the age of Death from the Fleet prison in 1817..and a WILLIAM ETCHES married ELIZABETH CADMAN at Tutbury 01.09.1752................curiouser and curiouser.......

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 September 15 14:07 BST (UK) »
I have already found the entry on familysearch but just wondered if there was an image you were viewing as transcripts do not always have all the information. The image may show it was an adult baptism.  :)