Author Topic: William Etches  (Read 5090 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Etches
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 September 15 14:14 BST (UK) »
I have already found the entry on familysearch but just wondered if there was an image you were viewing as transcripts do not always have all the information. The image may show it was an adult baptism.  :)

The image is on Ancestry and simply reads:

Page Heading: "Christenings in June 1796"

then the relevant entry is ....

"Richard Cadman son of William and Mary Etches    Holborn Hill      26"

... and that's all :(

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 September 15 14:21 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage on 4 Jul 1789 at St Mary the Virgin at Aldermanbury, London between a William Etches and a Mary Haigh.

And a marriage "allegation" for the pair dated 3 Jul 1789 showing them both 21 or older, William is a batchelor from Northampton and Mary a spinster from Aldermanbury.

STG

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 September 15 14:36 BST (UK) »
I have already found the entry on familysearch but just wondered if there was an image you were viewing as transcripts do not always have all the information. The image may show it was an adult baptism.  :)

The image is on Ancestry and simply reads:

Page Heading: "Christenings in June 1796"

then the relevant entry is ....

"Richard Cadman son of William and Mary Etches    Holborn Hill      26"

... and that's all :(

STG

Thank you STG   :)

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 September 15 19:04 BST (UK) »
If we accept that there can only be one Richard Cadman Etches, then an adult baptism is the obvious answer, and since his father had only just died, it may be a measure to regularise his position in case of charges of illegitimacy.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 September 15 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

On Familysearch:-

Richard Cadman Etches  Father William Etches  Mother Elizabeth.
Christening Place -  St. Michael's Stafford

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Aetches~%20%2Bbatch_number%3AI03789-1

However if you check the film number  291628  it states "bishops transcripts diocese of Worcester"

Confused,  - can anyone explain?

Spendlove

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 September 15 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

On Familysearch:-

Richard Cadman Etches  Father William Etches  Mother Elizabeth.
Christening Place -  St. Michael's Stafford

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Aetches~%20%2Bbatch_number%3AI03789-1

However if you check the film number  291628  it states "bishops transcripts diocese of Worcester"

Confused,  - can anyone explain?

Spendlove

Three things:

1.  I can't find a church called St Michael's in Stafford, so maybe it's Staffordshire (somewhere). The William and Eliz marriage in 1752 was in Tutbury, which is in Staffs, but there's no St Michael's there either :(

2.  The diocese of bishops don't follow county boundaries.  However, having said that, Worcester to Stafford seems to be stretching it :)

3.  If this is the Richard Cadman Etches we're after, then his age at death - 52 - in 1817 is out by 12 years.  I know given ages at death can be unreliable, so maybe 12 years is within an acceptable margin of error.

STG

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 September 15 15:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all of your submissions and you will no doubt appreciate the confusion I have encountered over a couple of years now about William Etches and his son Richard. It seems strange to me that nothing is at all clear about Richard's early life, especially when he was considered important enough to have a whole chapter devoted to him in a book called "The History and Topography of Ashbourn", published in 1839. I have a copy and Richard was regarded as quite an heroic figure. It states "Mr. Richard Cadman Etches, son of Mr. William Etches, formerly a wine merchant, in the Market Place, Ashbourn, and whose family have resided in the town for several generations. He left Ashbourn whilst a youth, and entered a large mercantile firm in London." I'm very surprised therefore that the early lives of this branch of the Etches family haven't been better documented.
Etches, Plant, Nunn

Offline G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 August 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage on 4 Jul 1789 at St Mary the Virgin at Aldermanbury, London between a William Etches and a Mary Haigh.

And a marriage "allegation" for the pair dated 3 Jul 1789 showing them both 21 or older, William is a batchelor from Northampton and Mary a spinster from Aldermanbury.

STG

I know of a William Haigh Etches whose family I have been researching as my aunt married one of his grandsons if that would be of interest to you.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 August 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

William Etches of Ashbourne died 1795 wine merchant, in his will he does not mention a son “Richard Cadman Etches”.

Estate was divided between wife Elizabeth, children - John, Elizabeth and Sarah.

Feel sure RCE would have been mentioned if he was his son, even if it was the usual one shilling.

Have no knowledge of the book you mention, but the author could have been making assumptions.

Spendlove

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.