Author Topic: Quaker Burials In Bradford  (Read 19114 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quaker Burials In Bradford
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
Other than Bolton and Eccleshill being only one mile apart, I can only guess on the rest?
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 21 April 16 20:26 BST (UK) »
I have asked others if James Bond's father can be located?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=746893.new#new
 Brian

Offline JamesBond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 21 April 16 22:41 BST (UK) »
nice, thank you for posing that question. his mother is listed as being from italy, per his death record. so whoever his father, he married an italian girl. i did a dna test & it said i have ancestors from italy/greece, so that's likely correct about his mother.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 24 April 16 20:18 BST (UK) »
Something to make you stop and think?
Looking at some 1700's burial records for Yorkshire, some Quakers buried outside of the church grounds, that is non consecrated ground but within sight of the church!
 Brian

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 25 April 16 01:18 BST (UK) »
.. James? Lived from 1642-1721, Yorkshire... I can only only go back as far as James. Trying to find info on his parents, but can't find anything. Any idea who I could contact about him or where to look? Thanks again for your help.

Hi JB. Hope you don't mind if I ask some questions.

Is the 1642 an approximate date? This was around the time of the Civil War. Bradford was under siege for a time and in 1643 it saw a very steep rise in burials. I expect some births, marriages and burials went unrecorded or some records did not survive or were lost. It was an extremely bloody and turbulent time.

...I read on another website about him being in some trouble & ultimately being imprisoned. Seemed like quite the rebel. Didn't pay tithes, didn't accept the role of constable, etc. Probably in compliance with the Quaker faith.

Do you have a link for this info? Or perhaps you could you post the info here.

Does Calverley cover Bolton in East Riding? Or is that in another parish? I know my Bonds lived there too. Would there be a hearth tax for there?

How do you know they lived in a "Bolton" (Yorkshire)?

...Would love to go back further, past James Bond, but I haven't found anything in his family before 1665. If I knew what their faith was, might make it easier to find them. At this point, I'm thinking Anglican, because James was found absent from parish church & fined for it. His parents might've been. Likely lived in or near Bolton. What were some of the parish churches in or near Bolton that might have online registers?

Most people were Anglican. Anglican though was, and still is, similar in many ways to the Catholic church. The fear for some people, back then, was a return to full on Catholicism. This meant that some people leaned more toward a nonconformist/dissenter type of church.

Do you have more info about the "fine". Was it for non attendance to an Anglican/CofE church mass?

In post #50. Calverleylads info says the residence was "Bowling". Bowling was , more or less, Bradford. Why do you think a Bolton is "likely"?

... i thought english records/entries were fairly thorough ...

They are but not at these dates !
You are trying to get back a long way here and unfortunately records for these kind of dates have not always survived

Offline JamesBond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 25 April 16 02:04 BST (UK) »
thats alot to answer but will do my best.

1642 is both an exact year & an estimate. ive seen a possible birth from mar 1642 & estimates making it look like he was born about 1642/1643.

heres the link you asked for:

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ski/katie/family_pages/bond.html

ive seen marriage records for James' children stating they were all "of bolton".  i thought this meant they were living at home with James. plus ive seen a few other sources saying James was born in bolton. theres a small village called bolton on the northeast outskirts of bradford.

the fine is included in the website i shared above.

i think bolton is likely because thats where sources ive seen said James was born, in bolton. thought his parents wouldve lived there. im just piecing info together i find, like quaker records & others.

ive seen records pre-dating 1642, so thought most records are available from most churches before that time.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 20:01 BST (UK) »
I thought he was born in "Bowling" [Bradford] ?
I couldn't find a couple of the marriages but managed to look at these.

Robert Bond of Bolton in the Parish of Yorks  to Eliza Milton of Bradford [Yorks]
Rachel Bond of Botton/Bottom? [Yorks] to Timothy Linsey of Manningham [this is Bradford]
Mary Bond of GM? House at? Bradford to Thomas Benson of Gildersom [Gildersome?]
Joseph of Boulton in? the Parish of Calverley to Ann Shires of Sawley

There is a Sawley in Lancashire (might have been in Yorkshire back then, it is border country), close to the Quaker heartlands, as well as the one near Ripon mentioned earlier