Author Topic: Wood Aaron and Mary  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Yemoot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wood Aaron and Mary
« on: Sunday 06 September 15 06:39 BST (UK) »
Aaron Wood and Mary Dawson Wood, both convicts, sent to Tasmania Australia. Mary in 1827 and Aaron in 1832. Both from Stafford UK.  I have lots of info from here in Australia and also have their indents. I think that I have their marriage details from Birmingham and probably their children's birth details. Is there anyone out there that is researching this family?  yemoot.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Aaron and Mary
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 15 08:10 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Besides looking for fellow researchers of this family, what information are you seeking?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Yemoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
I would love to be able to find out their parents names.  I have some possibilities, but how to be sure.  It is a very common name.  Their son John was also transported to Tasmania.   John came to Victoria and he and his sons were involved with the Kelly' gang so they are an interesting family.
If there are others researching this family I would like to share info. Cheers

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 15 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Yemoot and welcome to Rootschat - do you have any other childrens names ??
for instance ,could this be a child named Benjamin ?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JM6L-H7Q
ADDED - same couple in Endon ,Staffordshire have Ann Wood christened - same place on 13th march 1803
is this too early to be your couple ??
William Wood - same place - christened 6th feb 1820 - died 5th july 1821
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 September 15 08:59 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure how much of this info you already have.
http://foundersandsurvivors.org/pubsearch/convict/chain/c31a31460438

Interesting to note that father was also transported.
Date of birth 1786 is something to work with.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 September 15 09:09 BST (UK) »
OK....I don't know whether it is Birmingham - but they married xmas day 1805 in Edgbaston,Warwick

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5V5-DZG

so if they were around 21 when they married - this makes them around 50 when they were transported - is this correct ??
check out Benjamin Wood and Hannah Wood having children in Sutton Coldfields,Warwickshire in 1780's ....Thomas Dawson Wood  - looks to definitely be one of AARON and Marys children born 1820
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JQB5-GQL
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 September 15 09:14 BST (UK) »
Something isn't adding up here. According to the convict records, Aaron was born c.1786, and Mary c.1799. You can always allow for a bit of leeway on ages, but not that much.
Yemoot, how did you come by the name Dawson?

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 September 15 09:18 BST (UK) »
In your original post, you mention Stafford. There are 2 possible marriages for an Aaron Wood and a Mary, both in Wolstanton; one in 1814, one in 1821.
There is a possible baptism for Aaron Wood, 22 May 1786, St Martin Birmingham, parents Thomas and Sarah Wood.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 September 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
Something isn't adding up here. According to the convict records, Aaron was born c.1786, and Mary c.1799. You can always allow for a bit of leeway on ages, but not that much.
Yemoot, how did you come by the name Dawson?

do you think Mary could be b 1789 and not 1799 ??...that would fit with 1805 marriage