Author Topic: Mary Robb and George Thomas Green South Australia  (Read 9609 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Robb and George Thomas Green South Australia
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 26 September 15 23:24 BST (UK) »
A bit like when I had to tell my in-laws they were actually fourth cousins.  ::)
They told me to stop looking after that!

But I am glad that you have acknowledged the efforts the kind people have gone to in looking up information on your behalf.  :)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 27 September 15 00:27 BST (UK) »
Through this site and other methods I have managed to fill in my grandfathers family as far back as Mary Robb's great grandparents but still only have George Thomas Green's father.
sremuss

Did you miss this informative post by Debra, our super sleuth :)

I have no doubt that if you were to get a copy of the NSW marriage cert for George Thomas GREEN and Jessie GOUDIE he would tell you that he was a widower and that he was born in 1870 in Western Australia to John Edward GREEN and Mary CROWDY.  Marriage certificates are also sometimes notated with the date of death of the previous spouse and the number of children born to them.

John Edward GREEN, formerly of Birkenhead, South Australia, died in Perth WA in 1903.  He had a second relationship with Louisa COLE.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/204525173
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/37801654

John Edward GREEN was also born in WA and his parents George GREEN and Jane BEACHAM were amongst the first European settlers.

http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/welcomewalls/names/green-george
http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/welcomewalls/names/beacham-jane

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=142379774&PIpi=116773409

Debra  :)

An online subscription website has many public trees for your Western Australian GREEN family.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 27 September 15 00:56 BST (UK) »
Try telling one side of the family .................... . There was a great deal of yelling and ancestral DNA does not lie. ;D

Sremmus,
Having a mixed  genetic inheritance which includes that of our only true Australians, the Aboriginal people, is a  source of pride for those fortunate enough to have it.

Likewise, the Jewish are among the most resilient, strong-minded and successful races in the world. Those with such a heritage must be the lucky ones.

Statements which reflect prejudice  are not acceptable to the Rootschat group who themselves come from a wide diversity of culture and ethnicity.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 27 September 15 01:56 BST (UK) »
Through this site and other methods I have managed to fill in my grandfathers family as far back as Mary Robb's great grandparents but still only have George Thomas Green's father.

I am one of the few in the family who does not allow past stories to colour my view on the truth. I always investigate and put accurate information in front of them and explain the process it took to get it. They don't always like it but history is history. Try telling one side of the family that they have Jewish heritage and the other that they are aboriginal. There was a great deal of yelling and ancestral DNA does not lie. ;D

I have been involved in family history for over 50 years, and I have shared my research with many of my family members across those years, long before the internet and long before family history's popularity brought with it many factoidal myths and twaddle statements about how our earlier generations viewed their own unique family's history.

So, may I mention that I would be astonished if any of my NSW born ancestors (or their neighbours, workmates, fellow church attendees) would have thought any less of a person because of a Jewish heritage or an Aboriginal heritage.... And I well recall my grandparents who were born in the 1870s and 1880s...  I am born and was raised in rural NSW, with several generations of ancestors who were also born and raised in the Western Land Division of NSW. 

http://www.lpma.nsw.gov.au/crown_lands/western_region

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sremmus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 27 September 15 10:45 BST (UK) »
I am happy to say that I have no issues around my who or what I am culturally. I am a woman of Aboriginal, Irish, Scottish, English, Belarus Jewish heritage. How my family deal with that varies. Some have openly accepted the information about cultural heritage I have put forward, others have not and that issue is there's to work through because all I can do is give them the information to process. Not everyone is so open and accepting but it is nice to hear from those who are.

Oh, thank you Cando I did miss the post by Debra.