Author Topic: Brompton Cemetery records - what do the numbers mean?  (Read 4783 times)

Offline landej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for ancestors since 1966
    • View Profile
Brompton Cemetery records - what do the numbers mean?
« on: Sunday 06 September 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I got this cemetery record for my grandfather from Deceased Online. I understand that he was buried in section 'V' and I have a map which shows where that is. But what does the 48:0 x 74:3 mean? Is it distance in feet from a point of reference? If so, what is the point the of reference? Also, what are the 2 numbers beginning 188 and 187? Is one the grave marker number? His wife is buried at the same spot to a depth of 5 ft, but she died 11 years later and the 2 numbers on her record are much higher. I realize I could write to London Parks or whoever administers enquiries about London Cemeteries, but the last time I did that it took quite a while, so I wondered if any RootsChatters had any experience with these type of records. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I have been to the cemetery and I couldn't find a headstone, but I thought if I could pinpoint the exact location of the grave, I could check that there wasn't one there.
Thanks,
John
Landers (Laois, Dublin, Mayo, Chicago, NZ......), McDowell (NI), Bass (Dublin), Boxall (Sussex), Marchant (London)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brompton Cemetery records - what do the numbers mean?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Looking at the image I note he was buried in a Common Grave which might indicate that the plot size for section V was 48 feet by 74 feet. I looked at an image here and plot V is very large

http://www.guardian-angels-touch.co.uk/maps/Brompton.gif

Without seeing other entries on the page it is difficult to know what these are, but Deceased Online suggests there are approx 205,000 burials between 1840 to 1997. As he died in 1938, this could be a sequential number and that was his number.

There won't be a headstone as this is a Common Grave

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline landej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for ancestors since 1966
    • View Profile
Re: Brompton Cemetery records - what do the numbers mean?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 September 15 20:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I hadn't realized that there would definitely be no headstone. When I went there about 10 years ago, I noticed another Landers grave (with a headstone obviously), and made a note but thought it was just a coincidence. Since then I've been contacted by a descendant of his and we've proved a family connection by DNA. Not sure whether my grandfather's family knew he'd be buried near his great uncle.
I'll write again and see if they'll give me an explanation. Last time I wrote they wanted about £30 for what I got from Deceased Online for about £4.
Thanks for your reply.
Landers (Laois, Dublin, Mayo, Chicago, NZ......), McDowell (NI), Bass (Dublin), Boxall (Sussex), Marchant (London)