Author Topic: Eldridge family, Canterbury  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Eldridge family, Canterbury
« on: Tuesday 12 July 05 13:25 BST (UK) »
George Thomas Eldridge was born in Canterbury in 1862. I am pretty sure  he was the brother of my grandmother Charlotte Ann Eldridge  who was born in 1864. I have no details of their birth although Charlotte Ann appears to have been living with Thomas Cork and his wife as a seven year old boarder in 1871. Charlotte Ann's father  was an Alfred Eldridge according to her marriage certificate. Would it be possible for some kind person to find George Thomas and Charlotte Ann's birth details . From here in Australia I appear to be stuck.
                             Many thanks
                              Alistair

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Eldridge family, Canterbury
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Alistair

I've not found their birth details but i have found George Thomas Eldridge on the 1881 census....and the father is'nt the same as for Charlotte. The father on this census is : Richard Eldridge c1834 from Upper Hardes, Kent.

CAZ
DEVON : Gillard,Horn,Powlesland,Cooper,Crocker,Mallett,Branch
GLOUCESTERSHIRE : Hanks,Pratt,Bowen,Hall,Compton,Lawrence,Morris,Williams, Izard,Dancey,Derrett
WORCESTERSHIRE : James, Wheatcroft

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Caz,

You beat me this time, I'd just typed out more or less what you'd put!!

1 all now!

Happy Hunting
Love
Legs
xxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 14:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry Legs.....lol

Never mind, i've been asked to do some lookups now, so you should be alright for posting replies   ;D  ;D

CAZ
GLOUCESTERSHIRE : Hanks,Pratt,Bowen,Hall,Compton,Lawrence,Morris,Williams, Izard,Dancey,Derrett

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 01:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Caz and Legs.
                                       The plot thickens. As George Thomas Eldridge was a witness at Charlotte Ann's marriage in Windsor in 1886 I reckoned he was possibly her brother. It now looks like he may have been her cousin. Sarah Ann Eldridge, nee Webb, died in Windsor in 1886, may be Charlotte Ann or George Thomas's mother. Alfred was already dead. Guess I have a lot of work to do but it is not as complicated as the Irish side of my family!,
                     Regards
                         Alistair McCormick

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Alistair

Sorry we could'nt have been of more help  :-\

and sorry to have confused your tree some more !!!  ???

Happy Hunting

CAZ  :D

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Alistair

Wanting to try and help, I have had a look at the information in this & your other post http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,8114.0.html but I'm having a bit of trouble extracting the facts from the maybes/possibles.

When/where does Charlotte says she was born in 1891 & 1901 census - I can't seem to find them ???

This Sarah Ann ELDRIDGE nee WEBB who died in Windsor 1886 - I can't find her in 1881 or 1871 ???  Do you know for certain that she was a family member and/or that she was nee WEBB and the widow of Alfred ELDRIDGE?  How do you know the Alfred who died in Midhurst was Charlotte's father?  Sorry so many questions - just trying to sort out the facts.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 July 05 03:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for you help, These answers may help or add to the confusion.
1. Charlotte married Robert McCormick in Windsor on 8/9/1886. In the 1891 census they were in Stirling, her birthplace was recorded as 'England".
2. By 1901 they were in S.E. London. I have not found them on a census.
3. I have not found Sarah Ann Webb between her marriage to Alfred Eldridege at St. Mary Northgate on 4/3/1861  when she was 24 and Alfred 32 and her death at Windsor in the first quarter of1886..
4 An Alfred Eldridge of the right age died at Midhurst in last quarter 1881. A Charlotte Eldridge was born there in third quarter 1864. This now looks like a coincidence..
5. Charlotte lived with us in Scotland in the  1930s. She mentioned the name Cork but no one was sure whether it was a person or a place. Thomas Cork on the 1871 census looks right but Charlotte is down as being born in ??? London.
6. Charlotte was living at 5 Datchet Rd. New Windsor when she married, one witness at her wedding was George Thomas Eldridge.  She was in service and the James Brewley household looks right even if the transcription from the original shows Uldridge instead of Eldridge. her bithplace is shown as Canterbury
7. About the only thing I can add is a Lilly Eldridge. ' Cousin Lilly'
lived with the McCormicks in London in the early 1900s and eventually went to America. I have not identified her parents or actual relationship to Charlotte.
Thanks for your help,
                     Alistair McCormick

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 July 05 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Alistair

Firstly, this looks like them in 1901 then ;D

30 Dempsey St, Mile End Old Town (East London but not South East London), London

Robert McCORMACK head mar 41 foreman at beer bottling stores b.Scotland
Charlotte A wife 39 b.London or Cambridge - not known
Robert son 12 b.Scotland
George son 10 b.Scotland
William son 6 b.Scotland
Dorothy dau 2 b.(Scotland crossed out) Stepney London
Lily ELDRIDGE niece 12 b.Windsor Berkshire

RG13/328 folio 9 page 10

Lily must have been the daughter of George T ELDRIDGE of Windsor - see 1891 census which I believe you probably already have.

No significant progress yet I know but it's a bit of confirmation.

Best wishes

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk