Author Topic: Am stumped: Edith Annie FISHER 1887-1962 & George Harry NELSON 1885-1952  (Read 6410 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Am stumped: Edith Annie FISHER 1887-1962 & George Harry NELSON 1885-1952
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 03 September 16 11:26 BST (UK) »
Remember that the census only shows where people were on 1 specific night ;D

There can be many reasons why a husband and wife were apart on that single night.

EDIT:
You didn't mention that Mary was married?! Her death will be under her married name, so:

Deaths, December qtr 1916
 Loughborough Registration District     vol 7a, page 156

Nelson, Mary A     Age 62 (so birth c1854)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 03 September 16 11:41 BST (UK) »
Remember that the census only shows where people were on 1 specific night ;D

There can be many reasons why a husband and wife were apart on that single night.

EDIT:
You didn't mention that Mary was married?! Her death will be under her married name, so:

Deaths, December qtr 1916
 Loughborough Registration District     vol 7a, page 156

Nelson, Mary A     Age 62 (so birth c1854)

DOH! Sorry about that. Been a tiring week. :)
So that matches with what I had - although I had no source for the info as I suspect it came from someone else's tree. I have since stopped using data from other trees on Ancestry. Too risky.

I found it a bit odd that George Nelson was a boarder in Calverton (Notts) with no sign of his children. I'm convinced it is him as the age and place of birth match. The Nelson family was orginally from Notts: Lowdham, Lambley and Burton Joyce. George's father, James Nelson, was born in Lambley then moved to Shepshed in 1851 where George was born.

So it seems George probably headed back to Nottinghamshire to work alongside family members who lived near Calverton. Mary Nelson could have stayed in Shepshed, but as yet I've found no trace of this.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)

Offline Charstring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 08 December 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I was researching my own great-grandfather who had the same name as yours (but no relation). Anyway, I found an report of your great-grandfather's wedding in the Melton Mowbray Mercury and Oakham and Uppingham News - Thursday 05 August 1915 - George Harry Nelson, youngest son of George Nelson of Sheepshead married Edith Annie Fisher, youngest daughter of John T. Fisher the chair of the parish council. The wedding was on the Wednesday before the publication date of the paper. The bride wore "ivory silk crepe poplin" and a "picture hat", and carried a bouquet of pink roses. The bridesmaids (Eva Fisher and Joyce Nelson) wore "pale blue silk crepe poplin". Hymns included "O Love, Divine and Golden", the happy couple arrived by motor-car and the bridegroom's brother Will Nelson was there. The Rev. W. V. Phillips officiated. Oh, and they got lots of presents.

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 December 18 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Amazing stuff!

Many thanks for sharing that with me, this will be interesting for the few family members I'm still in contact with.

George Harry & Edith went on to have a small business producing wedding outfits. He was a tailor and Edith a dressmaker.
At the time of their wedding, I'm assuming that George Harry hadn't already enlisted in the Warwickshire Regiment, as at that time they both moved to Nuneaton. Their son, my Grandad, was born in 1916 in that town.

I was researching my own great-grandfather who had the same name as yours (but no relation). Anyway, I found an report of your great-grandfather's wedding in the Melton Mowbray Mercury and Oakham and Uppingham News - Thursday 05 August 1915 - George Harry Nelson, youngest son of George Nelson of Sheepshead married Edith Annie Fisher, youngest daughter of John T. Fisher the chair of the parish council. The wedding was on the Wednesday before the publication date of the paper. The bride wore "ivory silk crepe poplin" and a "picture hat", and carried a bouquet of pink roses. The bridesmaids (Eva Fisher and Joyce Nelson) wore "pale blue silk crepe poplin". Hymns included "O Love, Divine and Golden", the happy couple arrived by motor-car and the bridegroom's brother Will Nelson was there. The Rev. W. V. Phillips officiated. Oh, and they got lots of presents.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)

Offline Charstring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 December 18 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm glad that you like it.

You must be right about your great-grandad not being in the army at the time of his wedding because they'd have mentioned it otherwise. He did sign up (or re-enlist) for WWI and was discharged sick shortly before the armistice, receiving the silver war badge.

I got the day wrong, the paper actually said ""Two weddings of considerable local interest were solemnised at the Baptist Church on Monday, and were witnessed by large numbers of friends and parishioners."

Incidentally, the church was specially decorated because the bride the first wedding, Edith Randon, had been the organist at the church for 5½ years so they really spruced the place up as a tribute to her. The second wedding was that of your ancestors George Harry Nelson and Edith Annie Fisher. The paper also mentioned that 'Mr. and Mrs. Fisher entertained numerous guests at "Ferndale."'

The only other article about a George Harry Nelson which I can find is definitely about some other George Harry Nelson because our respective ancestors would have been too young to be the person in question. It's an article about a George Harry Nelson who picked a fight with an NCO and got the worst of it.

George Harry Nelson, a groom, accused Hugh Dougen, a sergeant-instructor, of assault in the Railway Hotel in Rugby.

Nelson had 'entered into a tirade against the army in general and Sergeant Dougen particular, used offensive language towards the Queen, called Sergeant Dougen a coward, and invited him into the stable-yard where he said he would "knock corners off him"'. That was a bad idea because when he actually tried to have a go, Sergeant Dougen floored him.

Nelson then went to Court and had Sergeant Dougen brought up on charges of assault, but all of the witnesses disagreed with  Mr. Nelson's version of events, and the magistrates relased Sergeant Dougen (but made Mr. Nelson pay costs and kept him in custody).

Amazing stuff!

Many thanks for sharing that with me, this will be interesting for the few family members I'm still in contact with.

George Harry & Edith went on to have a small business producing wedding outfits. He was a tailor and Edith a dressmaker.
At the time of their wedding, I'm assuming that George Harry hadn't already enlisted in the Warwickshire Regiment, as at that time they both moved to Nuneaton. Their son, my Grandad, was born in 1916 in that town.

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 13 December 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »
So is your Nelson family in any way related to mine? Just curious. :)
It seems my branch came from Nottinghamshire originally, the villages of Lambley and Lowdham. My 3rd GGD moved to Shepshed from the latter in the 1840's. We've had a Leicestershire connection ever since (although I now live in France).

My Great Grandad George Harry Nelson somehow ended up in the Warwickshire Regiment, so was based in Nuneaton, at least from 1916 onwards. His brother Harold Nelson, was enlisted in the Leicestershire Regiment in 1914 and was killed near Ypres in 1915. The Leicestershire County Council Memorials Project has this page about him, which I have contributed to. Apparently he died with a group of Shepshed men, I think this was a "friends brigade" or something like that.

Apparently my Great Grandad GH was wounded twice during the conflict and have been told he fought at Vimy Ridge at some point. Like a lot of ex WW1 soldiers he suffered with ill health for the rest of his life, due to mustard gas poisoning. Thanks for the extra details.

The Randon name is also on my family tree. John T Fisher's sister Margaret was married to a George Randon. Also (oddly), his brother Frederick married another Randon, Rosetta Randon. So the Randons would definately be cousins of my Great Grandma Edith Fisher, in the next generation. Although I haven't got an Edith Randon on my tree... probably have yet to find her.

So that is perhaps why there was a double wedding. But having said that, John T Fishers brother James Fisher, married into the Tollington family - which also had a group wedding of the Tollington sisters. There is a photo of the ceremony somewhere on Ancestry.

I suppose it was cheaper to have a group family wedding??? LOL

You must be right about your great-grandad not being in the army at the time of his wedding because they'd have mentioned it otherwise. He did sign up (or re-enlist) for WWI and was discharged sick shortly before the armistice, receiving the silver war badge.

I got the day wrong, the paper actually said ""Two weddings of considerable local interest were solemnised at the Baptist Church on Monday, and were witnessed by large numbers of friends and parishioners."

Incidentally, the church was specially decorated because the bride the first wedding, Edith Randon, had been the organist at the church for 5½ years so they really spruced the place up as a tribute to her. The second wedding was that of your ancestors George Harry Nelson and Edith Annie Fisher. The paper also mentioned that 'Mr. and Mrs. Fisher entertained numerous guests at "Ferndale."'

The only other article about a George Harry Nelson which I can find is definitely about some other George Harry Nelson because our respective ancestors would have been too young to be the person in question. It's an article about a George Harry Nelson who picked a fight with an NCO and got the worst of it.

George Harry Nelson, a groom, accused Hugh Dougen, a sergeant-instructor, of assault in the Railway Hotel in Rugby.

Nelson had 'entered into a tirade against the army in general and Sergeant Dougen particular, used offensive language towards the Queen, called Sergeant Dougen a coward, and invited him into the stable-yard where he said he would "knock corners off him"'. That was a bad idea because when he actually tried to have a go, Sergeant Dougen floored him.

Nelson then went to Court and had Sergeant Dougen brought up on charges of assault, but all of the witnesses disagreed with  Mr. Nelson's version of events, and the magistrates relased Sergeant Dougen (but made Mr. Nelson pay costs and kept him in custody).

Amazing stuff!

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 13 December 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Continued...

Interesting story about the "other" George Harry Nelson - although my GH was also in Warwickshire around then, I really can't imagine him being an aggressive character. In the few photos I have of him he looked rather a gentle character. Edith by contrast looked quite a hard woman. I don't have many photos of her smiling, even the one I have of her as a young woman taken in Loughborough market place!

I can see I have a lot of research to do into my Great Grandparents - in particular, it looks like George Harry didn't go off to war until AFTER his brother Harold was killed.

Thanks again for contributing this info.

Amazing stuff!