Author Topic: Ancestry Website: If it aint broke dont fix it!  (Read 24704 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Website: If it aint broke dont fix it!
« Reply #135 on: Monday 07 December 15 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Whether looking on Lifestory or Facts view (the latter doesn't involve ancestry's constructed sentences that don't always put the location in the correct country if it doesn't like what you've entered for the location/place ;)) there's a "cog" with a drop down menu which allows you to show or disable Family Events or Historical Insights.  Whichever is selected, ancestry does remember the preference as far as I have seen.  Its the same if you only use the Facts view, it will remember you used that previously and not switch you to Lifestory next time you access your tree.  I'm not sure if the site is remembering for your account or whether it is cookie based, if its the latter if the cookie is cleared it may reset the preference
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Website: If it aint broke dont fix it!
« Reply #136 on: Monday 07 December 15 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, you are a star - that worked a treat
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.