Author Topic: Two marriages for the same couple 3 years apart  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Linna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Two marriages for the same couple 3 years apart
« on: Wednesday 09 September 15 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
I have found two parish marriage records for the same couple 3 years apart. The only explanations that I can come up with are:
a. they divorced and remarried, but the timescale seems a bit short or
b. they renewed their vows but 3 years on from the first marriage seems a bit soon and I don't think that a renewal of vows would be entered in the register as a new marriage. Both marriages have been recorded by GRO. Can anyone shed any light on any other reasons.
There is a marriage allegation made on the same date as the first marriage, both living in different parishes and at different addresses. The second was three years later and again both appear to be living at different addresses.
The parties involved are Phyllis Edith Ruault and Marcus de la Poer Beresford. On Ancestry there is a marriage allegation and two parish records of the marriages. The marriages are in 1907 and 1910
I'm puzzled so any help would be appreciated
Dorset/Hampshire:
Newman, Fry, Hancock, Hoare and Budden

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Two marriages for the same couple 3 years apart
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 15:40 BST (UK) »
Was he in the forces - he may not have had permission to marry the first time  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Linna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie99

I haven't yet tried to find his history. I have been spending my time on the Ruaults. It is something I'll keep in mind when I do research him. I've made a note on his record.  If he had been in the forces and married without permission would the marriage have been annulled?
I have found the 1911 census for them (he was a stocbroker) and they state on there that they had been married under a year. (Census Ref RG14PN7073 RG78PN347 RD130 SD1 ED6 SN337) so an annullment is a possibility. I've also just this minute done some maths. She was born August 1887 which means perhaps Marcus made an incorrect statement (knowingly or unknowingly) on the marriage allegation when he stated she was over 21. Is this a possible reason for an annullment or would the marriage stand? I'm not up on these matters. If they were stopped from marrying I wonder why they waited 3 years to marry properly. She only had a year to go to be of age.
Dorset/Hampshire:
Newman, Fry, Hancock, Hoare and Budden

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 16:16 BST (UK) »
As you say Phyllis Edith Ruault is 23 in 1911 so would have been under 21 in 1907, but in the allegation he says she is a spinster of the age of Twenty one years and upwards, which could make the marriage invalid void,  a invalid void marriage does not legally exist.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
Since the first marriage would have been by licence, it is possible Someone objected after the issue of the licence and stopped the marriage taking place, the details may already have been entered into the register and thus found it's way into the GRO Index. You would need to see the original marriage entry to see what that shows.

I have come across this once before, a marriage was in the index and the register had been filled out in advance, but it never took place.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 16:32 BST (UK) »
When a licence is applied for the consent of the parent is required to be made, if either party is a minor. Unlike a marriage by banns. Marriages of minors, i.e. under 21, without consent after banns were valid, unless the banns had been forbidden by parents or guardians openly and publicly in church at the time of publication. So the marriage would have been invalid if consent was not given.
It would be interesting to see both marriage certificates.
Stan

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 16:37 BST (UK) »
The register entries for both marriages can be seen at Ancestry. The 1907 entry doesn't show any evidence of irregularity, but the witnesses' surnames are not those of the couple, so I wonder if this was some kind of rush job, with the bride attempting to marry without the knowledge or consent of her parents - which as a minor she would have required. They would of course have known that she was under age.

They may have patched things up by 1910 - the witnesses there have the bride's surname (are they her parents??), so I wonder if this was a deliberate way of showing that they did in fact consent to the marriage.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 17:00 BST (UK) »
On the marriage certificate Marcus de la Poer Beresford is a solicitor, so you would expect him to know what he is doing. I wonder why the first marriage was by licence, and the second by banns. I don't suppose you will ever know the background.

Stan

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 17:53 BST (UK) »
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Scott, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott