Author Topic: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Gareth Malone (WDYTYA Series 12 Episode 5)  (Read 24339 times)

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BBC "WDYTYA" Series 12 Episode 5: Gareth Malone
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 September 15 07:52 BST (UK) »
This was a happy episode, no tears, no graves!
Agree too much singing, but he did do some of his own investigating.
Some real genealogy, but lots of family info left out.
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 September 15 08:12 BST (UK) »
....I would have liked them to look into Dan's parents I think they were probably Irish. Dan was baptised in an RC church in Leeds in 1823. His parents were called Patrick and Mary....

There was plenty of  English Catholics though, especially in areas like Yorkshire, Lancashire and Staffordshire .
I have 3 completely seperate branches of English Catholics in my tree at this time period. My grt grandmother was born in Leeds and her family were Catholic ag labs from around the Knaresborough / York area originally . On another branch  my grandmother was Catholic, from her fathers family , who were all from Lancashire.

I think Lowry is a name quite common to Lancashire /Yorkshire

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 September 15 08:49 BST (UK) »
Ok, it was a bit 'light', but at least it made be smile.

It is not all about dates, names and places, how many of us would love to have this type of insight into our relatives lives.
Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vengeur

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 September 15 08:53 BST (UK) »
What the prog. didn't address (and I don't think I'm going mad here!) is that Gareth's grandfather was Edmund WHITE (the son of a male PAYNE) [Gareth's mother was born Sian WHITE].

So what happened?

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 September 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
Yes!! Was just signing on to say the same thing!   ???

Did I miss something....

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 September 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
....I would have liked them to look into Dan's parents I think they were probably Irish. Dan was baptised in an RC church in Leeds in 1823. His parents were called Patrick and Mary....

There was plenty of  English Catholics though, especially in areas like Yorkshire, Lancashire and Staffordshire .
I have 3 completely seperate branches of English Catholics in my tree at this time period. My grt grandmother was born in Leeds and her family were Catholic ag labs from around the Knaresborough / York area originally . On another branch  my grandmother was Catholic, from her fathers family , who were all from Lancashire.

I think Lowry is a name quite common to Lancashire /Yorkshire

I couldn't find a local marriage for the parents so I thought they weren't locals and could have been Irish migrants. Can anyone find the marriage of Patrick Lawry/Lowry/Lowrey to Mary some time before 1823? I know the surname appears in Ireland and there are Irish people of this surname living in England on various census records. Being called Patrick while living in England, being RC and having a son who sings Irish songs makes me think Dan had Irish ancestry.

Blue

Offline Vengeur

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 September 15 09:47 BST (UK) »
Yes!! Was just signing on to say the same thing!   ???

Did I miss something....

Glad to say then I'm not going mad! It wasn't mentioned at all in the programme but it surely deserved some comment!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 11 September 15 10:09 BST (UK) »
Yes!! Was just signing on to say the same thing!   ???  Did I miss something.... 

Glad to say then I'm not going mad! It wasn't mentioned at all in the programme but it surely deserved some comment! 

Not necessarily perhaps...... after all Gareth was wanting to find out about further back and that is what he did.

Although it seems the family did know quite a lot, I suspect this programme was inserted to balance the series budget.  A much cheaper episode, (though for me, more interesting,) than Ms Hall touring the USA.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 11 September 15 10:10 BST (UK) »
p.s. In life there can NEVER be too much singing, surely??  :P
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.