Author Topic: What happened in this marriage?  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
What happened in this marriage?
« on: Friday 11 September 15 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hoping someone may be able to give me some "explanation" what happened with this marriage!

reg # 17100/1937  Stanley Vivian HOGBEN to Lilla CARLISLE in Sydney New South Wales Australia

Lilla CARLISLE was my Aunty, I didnt know of her getting married to Stanley! I sent for this certificate and was informed by the NSW BMD "Unfortunately we can not issue the certificate because the marriage entry had been cancelled and we are unable to give any explanation as to why the entry was cancelled".

many thanks
Yonks ???
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened in this marriage?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 15 11:44 BST (UK) »
Assuming there was only one man with this name, the 1936 electoral roll shows him as a labourer of Ballarat Rd, Hamilton.  No other Hogben is listed.

He may have done war service from 1940: https://rslvirtualwarmemorial.org.au/explore/people/616073

By 1947 he was a council employee listed in the electoral roll at 5 Victoria St, Granville - also there was Mary Jane Hogben, home duties.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 September 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
"Unfortunately we can not issue the certificate because the marriage entry had been cancelled and we are unable to give any explanation as to why the entry was cancelled".

The entry in the registration ledger (registry) has been cancelled, but NO explanation has been recorded to explain the reason/s for the cancellation, so the current staff have no knowledge of the processes in the admin system pre computers....  ::)     It simply means the registration of the marriage has not been recognised by the NSW BDM's Registrar General, and therefore in a legal (contractual) sense, the marriage does not exist. 

The index seems to have the certificate entry as 31 December 1937.

Did you order an official transcription from an official transcription Agent, or did you try to order the real deal certificate?   Did they return your funds? 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:00 BST (UK) »
If you were to order his death certificate, then you would learn if there's any mention of the 1937 marriage on that registration....

NSW BDM online index has a death in 1963 for a chap of that name.... #37591

Ryerson Index gives him as aged 51, and late of Granville, with death at Concord.  See  SMH 2 Dec
https://news.google.com/newspapers?hl=en#S

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:04 BST (UK) »
If I were to have a wild guess I would say the marriage was annulled.  How old was Lilla?

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
That may well be possible Dundee, however, the registrar general ought to have recorded the NSW Supreme Court's action (file no. date, etc) on the left margin. (Similar to say how a Divorce heard in NSW Supreme Court would have been recorded ).... 

Cheers,  JM

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
Probate Packet may include death certificate: http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/Entity.aspx?Path=\Item\1103195
Stanley Vivian Hogben - Date of Death 01/12/1963, Granted on 06/05/1964

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:33 BST (UK) »
Is there a marriage for him to a Mary Jane, who appears with him in the 1947 electoral roll?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:43 BST (UK) »
Is there a marriage for him to a Mary Jane, who appears with him in the 1947 electoral roll?

2225/1947 HOGBEN, Stanley Vivian and WILLIAMS, Mary Jane; Granville