Author Topic: Hugh King Francis  (Read 3900 times)

Offline loish711

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh King Francis
« on: Friday 11 September 15 15:26 BST (UK) »
We have been looking for this man sometime. He claims in the English 1861 Census that he was born in Clare Ireland around 1806. He died in Sheffield in 1868. We believe he may have been in the army. Any help would be appreciated. Also could be connected with Galway.

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh King Francis
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 September 15 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you noticed that nearly every person with the surname Francis in Co Clare, appears to be from the Drumcreehy area, ie

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/tithe_applot/name_index/index18_FloodToFury.htm

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/griffiths/griffithf3.htm

Might be worth searching this area very well.  There may be more Francis information on the Clarelibrary.ie website.

Cheers

Offline loish711

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 September 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks LH feel like I'm talking to myself as they are my initials  :) I will look into that as you say 👍

Offline Unwind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hugh King Francis was my third great grandfather.  I too have the information that he was born in Clare, Ireland.  I have a record of a marriage of a Hugh Francis to Elizabeth Hawksworth in Handsworth, no Sheffield.  In the 1851 census he is listed as being a letter carrier and as retired in the 1861 census.  I have only just joined RootsChat hence the time lapse from your posts.  It’s also the first time I have seen the name outside of “official documents”.  The marriage was in 1829.  Hoping this is read and is of use.

Offline loish711

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
If you are also searching Hugh King Francis we have probably already been in touch. I'm Lois Hopkins and doing the research for someone else. If you have any more information about records in Clare I would be happy to hear from you.

Thanks,

Offline Unwind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 January 19 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lois.
The earliest reference to Hugh King Francis I have is the marriage.  I made an error with the date I had another marriage on my mind the date was 9 Jun 1833, sorry.  I have not tried searching in any county Clare  records yet.  If I find anything I will you know. I don't recall us communicating in the past.  His death register states his age as 68.  This would put his birth year nearer 1800.  All the information I have is from the census.
David

Offline loish711

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
Thanks for your reply. The lady I am doing the research for has visited both Clare and Galway but didn't have any luck in finding any more information. It's a pity people travelling over from Ireland weren't recorded the same way as other countries :(
Lois

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline loish711

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Hallmark but the gentleman concern was born between 1800- 1806 so registers don't cover this period. He was at least in England by 1833 when he married in Handsworth (Sheffield) I will see if I can spot other relatives though :)