Author Topic: Annaclare, House  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Annaclare, House
« on: Friday 11 September 15 19:28 BST (UK) »
How do I find out about the origins of Annaclare House, Armagh; when built, past owners, etc.
There's hardly a mention of it in any book for the house or Townland.
Arbuckle;Bamford;Fagan;Glenny;Graham;Maxwell; McAlister;Mitchell;Williamson;Wisdom

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annaclare, House
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
Griffith's Valuation dates from mid-1800s and PRONI have the Valuation Revision Books (both online & free) which run from the printed Griffith's until c1930. You should also Check PRONI's e-catalogue and Will Extracts.
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
www.proni.gov.uk

The 1901 and 1911 Irish census are also online (free)-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

There are also lots of links to resources in ARMAGH resources (stickied at the top of this board) and IRELAND RESOURCES.

Have you tried contacting the current owner? (seems to be easily found via Google)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 September 15 03:29 BST (UK) »
Here is Annaclare on the historic 6" mapping series, courtesy of OSI, if you compare to a Google Earth satellite view, you can still see the track running through the townland from SW to NE and the small enclosure of land like a mishapen diamond:

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,689874,847078,10,7

Is the following topic about Scotts of Annaclare talking about the same property (eg. see replies #3 and #12)?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=324416.0

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 September 15 11:18 BST (UK) »
Just as an aside, I couldn't help but notice something odd when I searched the PRONI website Will Calendars for "Annaclare".  Thirteen entries come back, including a number of Scotts (John Scott's will granted 1882 runs to 32 pages!).

But here's the thing, in the Will Calendars, the following folk are all recorded as dying at Annaclare on exactly the same date, 12 June 1889: James Cleland; Margaret Cleland; William Crozier; William Robert Mitchell; Charles Neill; Mary Jane Neill.

I was shocked to learn that that Annaclare was in the immediate vicinity of the worst rail disaster in Europe at that time, with some 80 killed and 260 injured on a Sunday School excursion, according to the Wikipedia link below.  There are various other internet references.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armagh_rail_disaster

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 15 18:10 BST (UK) »
Thank-you for all this information. I have been living in the house for the past two months now and hope to see a previous owner and, hopefully, get more information.
Arbuckle;Bamford;Fagan;Glenny;Graham;Maxwell; McAlister;Mitchell;Williamson;Wisdom

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 October 15 18:24 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Madie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 20:28 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was once a resident of Annaclare when his father, the widower, Henry Scott, married the widow of John Scott, Elizabeth Newton Scott in 1888. John and Henry were distant cousins. They both had children to raise and was left to manage Annaclare.

Up until the sale of Annaclare in 2010, the Johnston family resided there. A letter I received from Mrs Johnston stated she and her late husband had lived there since 1956.

Thomas Scott's death in 1955 would have marked the last Scott at Annaclare. He was the youngest sibling of John Scott and Elizabeth Newton Scott.

In the early 1800's George Scott Esq. is listed at Annaclare. He seems to have held high status in the Armagh community and church. He had no children and when he died in 1857 passed Annaclare to his nephew and namesake, George Scott. When he died intestate in 1864 it went to his father Thomas of Salter's Grange (brother of George Esq.) On his death in 1865 he bequeathed it to his eldest daughter, Mary Ann, but with his son, John Scott, as sole executor. John seems to have been in possession around the time of his marriage to Eliza Newton about 1872. They had five children, that I can account for, when he died. She married Henry blending his three or four children with hers.

Also to add that the daughter of John and Elizabeth Scott, Elizabeth Adelaide Scott did marry Herbert Couser.

I hope this helps. I'd love to know more myself. I'm too far away to make local inquiries