Author Topic: Markfield lane  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Markfield lane
« on: Friday 11 September 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I live in Markfield lane just down fro field head restraunt
We have no history on our part of the lane .im trying to find out about I have been on a website called Bradgate trust were you can look at house and the land ,any way while looking I found buildings under their the grass .they seem to go in different directions some are going down the side of our fence .there is a big one at the top of the field going from the corner then another from the other corner ,but our part seems full of them .then there is one big one in the bottom field .i contacted Leicester uni .i have looked a one part and found like a very big door hinge but this has like a wheel at the top ,and there is more in the building under the grass.i would like to know what is in my field.
Steve

Offline robinswh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Markfield lane
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 August 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
I used to go swimming in a pond along markfield lane (right hand side heading towards newtown linford)  This was in the mid 1960 s My friend was a lad called Nick finch born about 1950 he lived close by......Nick was killed in the Royston grange disaster in 1973 (river plate in south America) his parents must now be deceased also. Other members of the same family used to run a pet shop in coalville.
Wayne Robinson

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve
Your not from John and vonny
She was like a aunt to me she lived uplands drive John will be missed by me so much they lived just round from my brother yes they are both passedaway vonny worked with my mum and her relation Sylvia wardle at palitoy in Coalville in the 1970s that's all shut down now I used to go to the Christmas party in the green building on the drive my mother is Linda Woolman now married 1960 Markfield her maiden name is cooper .the pool is lawned wood at the back of stewards hey that belonged to sir Thomas grey lady jane greys uncle my cooper family married into the Geary family Elizabeth gearyies mother was Alice frost she married John Geary 1799 they had Elizabeth she married mums great great grandfather Charles cooper ,they whent to live at Stoke heys farm ratby number 60 .
Thanks for getting in touch we used to swimm there also I live in my mums old house it's called Newlyn I have been trying to find the history of our lane because of some thing that's happend here one night I saw a little black dog that comes from our front room into the sun lounge it doesn't bother me but wanted to know if there was some thing here before but can't find any thing.we have a square in our garden near the fence I'm wondering if it's part of the village that was moved up here when the resvoir was put in at bradgate park.it was moved up to field head I found out Alice and John lived at the farm house that's the hotel now before the Walton family .
Steve

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 December 18 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wayne
It’s Steve in Markfield vonnyies husband John has passed away a few years ago now the wood down here has been sold by auction by some with money so we’re not allowed in now at all .
I didn’t know if you knew so both have left us now.
I will miss uncle johns have havnt any one in the village now every one I knew have gone. My Grandads house is owned by a x mp David sprayson
But he’s looking after the house me and him are best mates and his wife sue.
Ste