Author Topic: Bermersyde, Mertoun  (Read 2065 times)

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bermersyde, Mertoun
« on: Saturday 12 September 15 16:48 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there was a Bemersyde village, as well as a Bemersyde estate?

I have two ancestors born at Bemersyde, which I think means that their father probably worked and lived on the Bemersyde estate, but I'm not sure if there was a Bemersyde village as well although I haven't been able to find one.

Thanks

Sue
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bermersyde, Mertoun
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 September 15 17:14 BST (UK) »
Its actually in Berwickshire on the Tweed. Go to Google Maps and enter the name it will show you where it is.  You can also read about it here http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21337

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 September 15 17:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Don - can't think why I didn't look there! There clearly is/was a Bemersyde village as well as Bemersyde House, so now I don't know whether the family would have been at the House or not. I assume they could have lived at Bemersyde and worked somewhere else nearby, being ag labs.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 19:47 BST (UK) »
I have the same problem although in my case my John Hogg (4x GGrandfather) was a gardener & so more likely to have worked at the 'House'.
His son Adams baptism states John Hogg, gardener Bermersyde

Another of Johns sons , James - my line went on to own Hogg's nursery right in the heart of Newcastle city so clearly there was money somewhere!

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Diddy

Mine was a farm steward - having checked around Bemersyde he could have worked at one or two farms there. I don't know if the House had a farm as well, if not then he must have worked at one of the farms. He was there for three or four years, going by the birth dates of the children born in Bemersyde. Doubt if I'll ever know  :-\

Sue

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
Bemersyde is slightly north of Dryburgh, you pass through Bemersyde to get to Scots View.

Currently it is the Home of the Haig's

Field Marshall General Haig's (Earl Haig's) family have lived there since the 1920's and there took in over from a distant cousin.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 15:40 BST (UK) »
The Haigs of Bemersyde go back to the 1100s and are one of the oldest landed families in the Borders still to be living in their ancestral pile, but the house passed out of the family before returning to their possession in the 20th century.
One of my great-grandfathers was a carter on the farm of Third on the Haig estates. And his father was a country carpenter who at one time lived nearby at "Blue Houses", Dryburgh. A lot of those cottages that estate workers lived in will have been pulled down long ago.
If my researches are correct, I also had ancestors called Haig at Fogo in Berwickshire, but I'm still waiting to be presented with a stately home by a grateful Scottish people.

Harry